What's new

Going to the Caribbean

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going on a cruise in a couple of months, and plan to take advantage of the latest US rule that we can bring back up to 100 CC’s valued at no more than $400. At one of the stops is a guaranteed-no-fakes place (in deference to my understanding of The Rules I won’t give a name or location), I figure I can buy three or four to smoke during the day before I commit to a box but am hoping I can get some help figuring out which three or four I’m most likely to like.

What I like… let’s see… the first Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 I ever had was amazing: a bit woody like maple, walnut, nougat, sweet spice, a bit of white pepper; I got it mail-order and when I bought a box from my local shop they were okay but none of them like that. La Gloria Cabana Serie R from before the General Cigar buyout was excellent: coffee, cocoa, dried fruit, some spice and pepper. Certain sticks I pick up some oak or maple and I like that as well. Lately I’ve been very happy with the Casa Magna Colorados, complex flavor and very consistent box to box; at the moment I think it’s the one I’d pick if I had to be stuck with only one for the rest of my life.

What I don’t like… never been crazy about any of the Aurturo Fuentes I’ve had, I always pick up a mineral/metallic taste that turns me off. Just tried an Oliva V Double Robusto and it was good but the flavor was a bit heavy.

Oh, and given my low consumption, if the nicotine content is too high it gets pretty ugly. Yeah, I know, I'm asking a lot.

So, here’s my list from what’s available at the place, based almost solely on my impressions from online reviews. I’d appreciate any help I can get:
Expensive:
Bolivar Coronas Gigantes
Bolivar Belicoso Fino
Montecristo No. 2 (the only CC I’ve ever had, it was excellent)

Less expensive:
Bolivar Libertador
Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No 2
Juan Lopez Seleccione No 2
Partagas Aristocrats
Partagas Shorts
Por Larrañaga Picadores
Ramon Allones Specially Selected
Trinidad Reyes
Trinidad Vigia

Thanks.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Good luck bringing back 100. You will run into a few legit places but the local taxes on top of "tourist" prices will set you back. Most singles/boxes will be priced very High.

Enjoy your cruise tho!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Rules about sources are generally about mail ordering Cubans. Don't think there's anything wrong with discussion of legal and legitimate purchase and import. In the Caribbean, I would be sure to stick to LCDHs. There area few guys here who travel a lot and may be able to direct you as well

As far as what you're asking, I would look at smaller smokes, Bolivar PCs and CJs, H Upmann PCs, Partagas Shorts. These will be cheaper and smaller so you can smoke them with less nicotine effect.

If you want larger sticks, I would look at Juan Lopez 2 and Por Larranaga Picadores. HdM Ep 2 are good but have that metallic overtone when young. Trinidad are excellent, but tend to be more expensive. Since you don't have a lot of experience, go with the less expensive options. The ones I mentioned are some of my favorites currently.

Chuck is right tho, tourist prices are generally very high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck bringing back 100. You will run into a few legit places but the local taxes on top of "tourist" prices will set you back. Most singles/boxes will be priced very High.
Yeah, I know I'll be paying out the nose, but it's probably that or nothing on this trip. I didn't actually figure on bringing back 100. And I have a couple of friends who are retiring in June, and I want to give them something special, hence Montecristo and Bolivars.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rules about sources are generally about mail ordering Cubans. Don't think there's anything wrong with discussion of legal and legitimate purchase and import. In the Caribbean, I would be sure to stick to LCDHs. There area few guys here who travel a lot and may be able to direct you as well...
Oh, well, in that case, yeah, the stop's in St. Kitts and there's an LCDH right by the pier. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take some notes.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I used was the manager at the LCD s in Cozumel back in 05. Your not getting 100 cigars at 400$. More like a box if that. IEPT has good prices for the local LCDH but with MX Tabaco taxes going up and the MXNP also at 20/1 your not going to get any sort of favorable exchange rate. I would suggest paying in pesos or if you have no international fee to put it on your cc which usually gives you an ok rate...but what matters is the mxnp to dollar rate the shop you are in has posted for that day. I keep a locker at the new LCDH but do my business with Havana Bob. The owner is a friend of mine....

Having had a second home in Cozumel since 2005 I can tell you that there are fakes everywhere. Only buy at th LCDH or places that you know get their stock from IEPT (like Bobs). You can do some research on that before you leave. Oh make sure you budget for a bottle or two of HC Rum. Best price on that will be if you get a taxi and go to the liquor store, Mega Supermarket, or Cheduraii (sp.

Where are your ports of call? When you heading out?

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Oh, well, in that case, yeah, the stop's in St. Kitts and there's an LCDH right by the pier. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take some notes.
I was just at the st kitts lcdh in december. Compared to the cozumel lcdh i was at last week, the st kitts prices are MUCH better.

Basically, st kitts was 2x normal price by the box online. Cozumel was 3x.

Cozumel had a better selection. I bought a siglo 4 and husw for $72 total. Yes, 2 cigars. But i also got 2 awesome tshirts for 20ea.

St kitts selection was smaller and much fresher stock since theyre pretty new. But they had a nice smoking patio overlooking the whole pier area. It was enjoyable.

If you are headed to st maarten, the lcdh on the marigot (french) side was the best priced lcdh i think ive been to, period. And the selection was vast. She, Carole, did 1:1 usd:euro which was even better a couple years ago.

Have fun. If you really want to get your buddies a box, just order online and save a fortune. But if you want the real CC shopping experience, which is half the fun, then splirge for a random 5r or 10r in the shop and try whatever looks good.

Btw- mexico laws for smoking labels is so ridiculous. The labels cover pretty much the whole box so turning over the bex for date code isnt possible like in st kitts, st maarten, and others.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at the st kitts lcdh in december. Compared to the cozumel lcdh i was at last week, the st kitts prices are MUCH better....
If you are headed to st maarten, the lcdh on the marigot (french) side was the best priced lcdh i think ive been to, period. And the selection was vast. She, Carole, did 1:1 usd:euro which was even better a couple years ago.

Have fun. If you really want to get your buddies a box, just order online and save a fortune. But if you want the real CC shopping experience, which is half the fun, then splirge for a random 5r or 10r in the shop and try whatever looks good.
Funny, I wasn't able to find the LCDH in Marigot when we were planning things, it looked like it had closed down, so now I don't think I'll be able to make it over there on that stop. The in-store experience is part of the draw, certainly, like I said I'll probably pick up two or three to try during the day in St. Kitts and make a decision on what to do before we get back on board. It'd be nice if I could get a variety of fivers.

I'm very bummed that I won't be able to visit Maho Beach on Sint Maarten, that was the one thing I most wanted to do but the wife insisted we go hang out with dolphins or something.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Funny, I wasn't able to find the LCDH in Marigot when we were planning things, it looked like it had closed down, so now I don't think I'll be able to make it over there on that stop. The in-store experience is part of the draw, certainly, like I said I'll probably pick up two or three to try during the day in St. Kitts and make a decision on what to do before we get back on board. It'd be nice if I could get a variety of fivers.

I'm very bummed that I won't be able to visit Maho Beach on Sint Maarten, that was the one thing I most wanted to do but the wife insisted we go hang out with dolphins or something.
Marigot lcdh is still there. I ordered something this week actually.

Kind of hard to find sonce google maps doesnt like the address, but its there and worth the 20 minute cab ride. French side is really nice, i recommend lunch out on the pier at the yacht club. Can smoke there after you eat :^)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just cast off from St. Kitts; they didn't have everything in stock so my haul is:
H. Upmann Corona Major Tubo $7
Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robusto $10
Partagas Short $7
Partagas Serie D No 4 $12
Ramon Allones Specially Selected $10
Trinidad Reyes $9
2- Bolivar Petit Corona $8 each
Bolivar Belicosos Finos $13
La Gloria Cubana Paraiso $15
3- Montecristo Petit No 2 $11 each
And an unbanded robusto they claimed was the same blend as a Cohiba Mareva, rolled on site by a visiting toreador from the Cohiba factory who brought the leaf with him. $5​
Total cost was $145

I also got 25 maduro toros ($3 each) at Santiago Cabana cigars in Miami, a little hole in the wall factory in the neighborhood where I grew up. There's a decent review of these at Cigar Afficianado; I've been getting them off and on for quite a while and they're quite good, even more so at the price.

Trinidad Reyes was a light/medium bodied smoke, not very complex but a decent stick. Spongy on the cut, and I got a bit of a buzz at the end of the 2nd third.

The HdMEp2 had more character. Mild/medium, slight bit of pepper coming in late in the finish. It had an interesting acidity I've never tasted before, kind of reminded me of the crispness of a really good estate Yemen Mocha coffee. Picked up some earthiness in the 2nd third, and a slight metallic tone toward the end. The buzz came in on the 1st third, but I don't often have two sticks in one day. I don't think it's The One, but I got another to let age.

Thanks for the suggestions, I look forward to smoking these!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget that your spouse or your friends on the trip can bring back cigars for you and it won't affect their limit on booze or other items they have. The cigar limit is per person.
Didn't forget, I just wanted to leave with a sampler before I comitted to a box. Good thing I did, I just finished the Partagas Short and wasn't terribly impressed with that one either. There are a number of non-Cuban smokes I like a lot more for $7 - $9 than that or the Trini.

I was hoping to get a couple of maduros, but the only ones they had were $25+ Cohibas, and I wasn't willing to go that high.

I'll probably smoke one of the Montecristos tomorrow. Last day before going home and all.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished the Partagas Serie D No. 4. Great stick - smooth, creamy, a bit woody, a hint of spice. Like it a LOT more than the Montecristo, I can sure see getting a box to age. The best one so far.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$800. You can bring up up to 100 cigars (regardless of origin), and other goods up to a value of $800. So you have some wiggle room.
Unless the rules have changed in the last couple of weeks, within the $800 cap is a further $400 cap on CCs.

Still thinking of the Serie D I had last night... damn, that was a good smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the rules have changed in the last couple of weeks, within the $800 cap is a further $400 cap on CCs.

Still thinking of the Serie D I had last night... damn, that was a good smoke.
The $400 restriction were specifically travelling to Cuba and bringing back Cuban goods (cigars, rum, whatever). Bringing back Cuban cigars from another country falls under the general customs allowance.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $400 restriction were specifically travelling to Cuba and bringing back Cuban goods (cigars, rum, whatever). Bringing back Cuban cigars from another country falls under the general customs allowance.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info
They sure make it easy to find out what the rules are. *rolleyes* I poked around at it for hours, and never found that... well, I hadn't planned on buying that many until I knew what I wanted anyway.

Thanks for the clarification!