What's new

Golf: Shopping for Irons

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Golfer dudes, help me. I need inexpensive irons.

I would like to buy a set of new (to me) irons. I have been using the same set that is, presumably, from the late 80s - mid 90s. They don't fit and are - obviously - dated.

Here's the catch: I want to spend as little as reasonably possible. I hate golf (no offense). However, it's a great opportunity for spending time with loved ones; most of my family golfs pretty regularly. Thus, I'm willing to start going on a semi-regular basis.

I know this means looking for a used set. But, what sets should I be looking at? My research so far has pointed to the realm of Mizuno JPX Hot Metals, Cobra F Max, and Cleveland Launcher HBs (I'm aware these are in a weird spot between irons and hybrids).

Is this generally the right direction? Should I be looking entirely elsewhere?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you hate golf, I'd just use what you got and save the money for more cigars. New irons only help if you are willing to put in the practice time.

With that said used is the way to go. For someone like you , looked for a set of game improvement cavity backs they will be far more forgiving on mis hits and add distance.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
@Bjohnson425 is giving good advice. I second what he says. One more thing. If you are really going to make an investment in better clubs, take the time to go to Roger Dunn’s or a similar place and find your swing speed. Then make sure you get shafts to match your swing speed. There are a ton of clubs that are going to help you but shafts that match your swing speed will make a huge difference

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Agree with all of the above. You can get a good deal on some used clubs on Facebook, Craigslist or at a garage sale. If you have a Golf Galaxy, Edwin Watts or a Play it Again store near you they also carry used sets. Cavity backs will be easier to hit and most likely easier to find from someone who tried them and went higher end with a new set.
But I also agree that if you don't really like the game and are only going on a semi-regular basis to be social then new irons are just a pretty band on the same old cigar. Watch the lawn sale listings and good luck.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I second @WNYTONY. Definitely search out a set of cavity back irons as they'll be much more forgiving than your 25+ old irons. I was in a similar situation a few of years ago. I had very old blade style irons and picked up a set of cavity backs (Callaway RAZR X, not that it matters) and with some youtube instruction and range time I was able to bring my golf game into the 95-100 range only using my irons. Literally, I took my driver out of my bag and would leave it at home because I had zero confidence in it at the time and it only caused me penalty strokes. Gain confidence in your iron game and putting and you can actually enjoy the game itself too!