What's new

Good Beginner Scotch

konmtu

CRA #100012823
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'd agree with avoiding the peaty ones unless you like spice. My first ever scotch was Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Super smoky and spicy (It overpowered a My Father cigar), but darn good. I love spicy flavors in food, cigars, etc. so it worked for me.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
My standard has been The Glenlivet for scotch, but trying to branch out myself.
Was recommended The Glenlivet, Glengoyne, Glenfiddich, and Bunnahabhain for exactly what you're asking, as far as low/no peat scotch goes anyway. Knowing I already enjoyed The Glenlivet, and Glenfiddich, I just bought a bottle of Glengoyne 12yr, and damn that's smooth. At $60+ for a 750mL, it's not "cheap" but I have zero regrets, and look forward to eventually trying a 15yr or 18yr of the same. I'll definitely be trying that Bunnahabhain now, too!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice here. I would also recommend glenfiddich 15, which is matured in three different cask types, ex- bourbon, virgin oak, and ex- sherry. It is then blended together to give you that sweet dark fruit flavors and spice, especially after the bottle has been open for a while. Very approachable and inexpensive.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all of the advice! I've not yet searched to see what is easily/readily available here, but I'm sure the majority of what's been advised can be found. I have always enjoyed whiskey, but have never tried any nice, single malt scotches or anything worth drinking solely. The majority of the spirits I've drank, outside of shots of course, has been high balls (whiskey sours, 7 and 7, etc.). But since I enjoy the whiskey flavor in those mixed drinks, I want to try some spirits worth enjoying in their own purity, so to speak. So, thanks again for all of the suggestions! I'm anxious to develop a palate for the fine spirits :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I compare it to starting off with cigars (mild to spicy on the spectrum)- go for something sweeter or smooth compared to something more peaty with a big bite.

Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glennfiddich, Macallan (the 10 isn't too bad in price) are ones I started off with. Now like with cigars, I'll drink to fit my mood. Do I want something smooth and oaky(Macallan 18 for example) or something strong and peaty (Lagavulin 16).

I also tend to appreciate the flavors more with a fuller glass. =)

Here's a link below that explains the regions and the usual flavor profiles as well. And not sure about the stores by you, but sometimes you can find sampler gift sets of different brands. I know Glenmorangie has one. And one of the stores by me also offers 325 mL bottles of some scotches if you want to try and not go all in a bottle.

http://simplyscotches.blogspot.com/2011/01/scotch-regions-and-their-unique-flavors.html?m=1

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Glenfiddich 12 is a nice floral note that goes well with a leathery cigar. Glenlivet 10 is a nice all around starter. Hell i started from Johnny walker black. The blue is over priced. Stay in the 8 to 12 year range. Find something cheap. I got a bottle of Glenmorangie 50 for my wedding night I'm excited to crack in 6 months :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@arjennrudd mentioned it but check your local shops for the smaller bottles and sampler packs. I notice them more around the holidays and now with father's day behind us there still might be some available.

Plus, not sure if the bar scene is your thing but I actually found a local bar that had Booker's and Blanton's that were on my radar. I was glad I got to "try before I buy" because both were damn good. If I didn't care for them I was only at a loss for a glass not a $70 bottle or whatever prices they are currently.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
@arjennrudd mentioned it but check your local shops for the smaller bottles and sampler packs. I notice them more around the holidays and now with father's day behind us there still might be some available.

Plus, not sure if the bar scene is your thing but I actually found a local bar that had Booker's and Blanton's that were on my radar. I was glad I got to "try before I buy" because both were damn good. If I didn't care for them I was only at a loss for a glass not a $70 bottle or whatever prices they are currently.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk
I don't know if you have winking lizards around you (restaurant and bar place) but they have lizardvills. http://www.lizardville.net/#

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't know if you have winking lizards around you (restaurant and bar place) but they have lizardvills. http://www.lizardville.net/#
Never heard of this but damn that's awesome!!! I'd love to have one here on Long Island and one of those World of Beer restaurants. Craft beer breweries are becoming really big here. And we have 1 distillery so far.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Almost any 10yr scotch is the way to go. They are very affordable and often better then some of their 12/15yr versions of the same line.