What's new

Good Resources For Scotch and Irish Whiskey

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've always turned towards rum when choosing an alcohol for myself. Now I want to try something a bit different.

I've always been interested in Irish whiskey and Scotch whisky. So, where do I start to learn about both and the better varieties. I'm finally in a position to put a little money towards trying them and was hoping to make the first purchase a decent one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Taste, taste, taste. Scotch ranges from sweet heather fruit notes to thick briny peat smoke. And the distillers are becoming creative in their final treatments. Best thing to do is visit a reputable liquor store and pickup a selection of the different profiles. What kind of rum are you drinking, the heavy sweet stuff or the lighter more aromatic rums.

Lots of educational sights to visit, I posted a link

where they talked a lot about Scotch, You'll see they have been offering the class are a steep discount if you follow them on Facebook

Depending on what your local store caries Aberlour 12 yr under $50 is on the sweeter lighter side, I love Balvenie Caribbean Cask for a rum cask finished Scotch, Laphroaig 10 yr is a kick you in the mouth peated Scotch Lots of possibilities

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Right now I'm drinking Bacoo 8 year rum. It has a decent body. I wouldn't call it light. It isn't dark and heavy like Jamaican rum though. It is mostly toffee, butterscotch, and vanilla. It has a bit of spice, and wood. It tastes faintly like a spiced rum with the added sugar.

I like lighter stuff socially and something with a decent body when relaxing in a quiet setting.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yea, I think you are going to find Scotch is in a whole other universe.
That is kind of the point.

The whiskeys I do remember liking were Gentleman Jack and Wild Turkey Rare Breed Bourbon Whiskey. Old No.7 from Jack Daniels was a no go for me.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think both of those would be considered sweeter with vanilla , banana in the Gentleman jack. Tough to recommend. I think a good starter bourbon would be 4 Roses yellow label (goes great with a wide variety of cigars) and Willet Pot Still. Wild Turkey makes a pretty wide selection, all pretty good. Lots of Bourbon drinkers do not like Scotch but if you start with something like the Balvenie Caribbean cask (rum barreled) you won't be disappointed.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My Favorite scotch so far is Balvenie 12 year, Sweet, light, caramel kind of flavors to me. So far my least favorite is Ardbeg 10. Like drinking alcoholic smoked soy sauce lol! Monkey Shoulder is pretty good, but no where near as smooth as the Balvenie 12 year!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I went on a scotch kick a few years ago... Didn’t like it enough to stick with it. Google the 4 regions of scotches if you’re not already familiar, then try a Highlands and an Islay to see the difference. Glenfiddich 12 is relatively easy drinking; Laphroiag 10 should only be handled by qualified professionals in full hazmat suits

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I recently started with the most basic Irish Whiskey. Yep, I bought a bottle of Jameson and liked it.

I'm thinking the lighter more aromatic alcohols are more to my liking.