What's new

Got a pipe for my bday

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
My parents got me a pipe and some decent tobacco for my bday this past weekend. I've been enjoying it so far. Its a lot different than a cigar, thats for sure. Still trying to get the hang of packing and keeping it lit. Sometimes I wont have to re-light for 20min, other times I take 3 puffs and gotta strike a match. I am determined to become a good pipe smoker. I will investigate the pipe threads before I start asking questions or for advice!!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Pipe smoking is definately a "work in progress' that's for sure my friend!

What kind of pipe did you get?

Rating - 100%
596   0   0
happy birthday!
what tobacco's have you been smoking?
i have been enjoying the pipe for about a year myself. when it's cold, i smoke it more than i do cigars...

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Wow, funny I should come across this thread. About 15 years ago I was really into pipes; so much I had one hand carved for me by a local pipe maker. I still have it of course, it was pretty expensive (relatively speaking.) I always rather enjoyed the aromatics like Borkum Riff? I was young though, perhaps that is crap, I'm not sure.. Either way, I may have to pull the pipe out, haha. :yes:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just started a thread about how I was influenced a little to get a pipe, I haven't gotten yet but from a few post I've read it's not the same as smoking a cigar?? Didn't know that.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I cant remember the exact type of pipe. Its a cheaper pipe since we obviously didn't want to invest in a pricey pipe if I wasn't gonna stick with it. I want to say the word "Roma" is in the name of the pipe. As far as tobacco, my dad hasnt' smoked a pipe in 20+ yrs so he just asked the person at TinderBox what their best seller was, so he picked me up a few ounces of Wilshire?? Does that sound right? I'll check for sure when I get home from work tonight. All in all I have been enjoying it so far. I don't get a ton of flavor from the tobacco but I've had a couple people tell me that once I break the pipe in that I'll start getting more flavor.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to the wonder world of pipes!

Wilshire is what Tinder Box calls their Lane 1-Q. Lane 1-Q is probably the largest selling bulk aromatic blend in the US.

As you smoke your pipe you will get a build up of carbon around the bowl this is call "cake". A good coating of cake does help a pipe smoke better. Like cigars there are many blends to try, its a whole new addiction!

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Awesome! Part of the reason I went for a pipe is so I can smoke inside during the cold Chicago months. My gf wont let me smoke cigars in the house but she said she likes the smell of pipes so would be open to letting me try that. So something aromatic is def. a plus. And of course I want it to taste good. I don't like smoking "flavored" cigars but I think I could handle some good flavored pipe tobacco. I also wouldn't mind trying tossing the remains of a cigar in the pipe, which I've read some guys do. I'd imagine I need a little more experience before doing that though. Thats probably a whole new skill that needs to be aquired through time.