What's new

Gotta love wireless

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
As part of my MBA program we are given laptops with built in wireless so I figured I would set up a wireless network at home. Right now I'm sitting on the patio smoking a cigar and surfing the web. I should have done this long ago!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm with you Slammer. I'm in my garage right now experimenting with a new coffee roaster. I'd be smoking a cigar too, normally, but I'm having to keep up with time and temps so I can't have the distraction. I do get time to hit the "new posts" button from time to time though! Wireless is great.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Slammer - Be sure to enable WEP w/ 128 bit encryption, turn of broadcast ssid and use a hex key.

Someone on Monday used my wireless router to try to hack into my ISP's server and they shut my account down. They said that I would be liable for any damage done to their server (they can try...) but my point is that you should secure your signal.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
wasch_24 said:
Yep, wireless rocks!

If we don't have another computer to use, how do we know if the MAC settings and WEP is functioning properly?
Todd,
In your manual for the router, there will be an IP address to access the router settings.

ex: http://196.88.0.1

This is where you set up all the security with your router. There usually is a "wizard" that will walk you through most of it.

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
N2Advnture said:
Be sure to enable WEP w/ 128 bit encryption, turn of broadcast ssid and use a hex key.

I made sure I did that right from the get go. So easy to do I am suprised more people do not encrypt their network, I found two just around my house.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I technologically challenged. When I first set mine up I tried to do the secured network thing and locked myself out of it. So I've been unsecured since.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
N2Advnture said:
Todd,
In your manual for the router, there will be an IP address to access the router settings.

ex: http://196.88.0.1

This is where you set up all the security with your router. There usually is a "wizard" that will walk you through most of it.

Yeah, I have done all that. I was just wondering if the only way to check if it is working is to bring another laptop or wireless device into the home and try and get on the network.

Basically to "test" the security.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I leave my network wide open cause anything important gets encrypted by me anyway and if somebody needs internet bad enough that they want to sit in front of my house then they can have it.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
One of the reasons I haven't been too worried about it is that where I live I'd mostly only have to worry about my neighbors tapping into mine. Some of them I know don't even have computers and none of them have teenagers. There's nowhere for anyone to park close enough to jack into it without raising major suspicion in the neighborhood. I've heard that with a "pringles can" antenae someone could get in from miles away but until I figure out how to secure it I'm not going to worry too much.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
There's 3 neighbors with WAP, 2 of which are unencrypted with with default 'linksys' ssid heh. However, it wouldn't do me any good getting on their network since we only have RR available here.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
How hard is this to install? I plan on gettin a Lap Top Dell soon but all of our computers (3 total) in the house go through one router. Would it be possible to install wireless on my computer and then transfer it somehow to the cable router, etc. I have no clue what to do and more then likely I'll have to pay someone to set it up.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
It is really easy. Once you buy the wireless router you connect the cable that currently connects the PC (whichever PC is most convenient) to the modem to the router instead. The router will come with a cable to connect the modem to the router. If every PC in the house currently has it's own modem you are done. If they all feed from a single modem you just connect them to the router instead.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
wasch_24 said:
It is really easy. Once you buy the wireless router you connect the cable that currently connects the PC (whichever PC is most convenient) to the modem to the router instead. The router will come with a cable to connect the modem to the router. If every PC in the house currently has it's own modem you are done. If they all feed from a single modem you just connect them to the router instead.
Yea they all connect through one modem...Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Slammer said:
I made sure I did that right from the get go. So easy to do I am suprised more people do not encrypt their network, I found two just around my house.
WEP is easily broken with tools available from the 'net. I use MAC authentication on mine instead. That way the router will only allow machines with addresses that I type in to connect. I checked it with my other laptop and it works great. You can't see the MAC address from the outside so anyone that tries to get on mine is screwed.

I was outside tonight and noticed two other wide open routers though. My neighbor is one I think and I have no idea where the other one is but it's close.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
wasch_24 said:
One of my neighboors has an unsecured network and they even changed the name of the network to their address. :hammersma
My uncle does that. He has cable internet and doesn't care of other people are using it cause he probably wouldn't notice anyway. At least it gives a war driver an idea of which house it is :)

I changed the ssid and default password on mine so its safe. My e-mail etc goes through encryption on its own, so I don't worry

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Except that you can sniff those easily with the tools available now. If you're using web-based email like Hotmail I agree. If you're using port 465 (SSL) to an encrypted email host (using Outlook, Mozilla/Netscape or something like that) you're fine but if you're using the default port 25, that goes across the wire/air in clear text. Your password can be sniffed in minutes.