What's new

Great Atlanta Visit

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well I got a call from Brian that he was back home in West-by-God-VA and plotting to take over the coffee world. We enjoyed his visit but it was over way too soon. We also got to meet up with Clay yesterday and enjoy some good smokes/conversation as well. Coffeefest was a blast even for someone like me who knows little about the biz. Come on back whenever you get the chance.

I'm still thinking about that trailer.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I told you I will drive the trailer... lets do it.. I got 5 bucks towards it..

Ha, but it was great meeting Brian and hanging out with Dub once again...

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
It was a fantastic visit! Thank you Dub and Mary for the outstanding southern hospitality! It was great to finally get down to visit and spend some quality time with you guys. I had a blast the entire time I was there. The days at CoffeeFest and the evenings hanging with you all and your awesome pup, Tucker, were a perfect recipe for a much needed vacation.

It was great to finally meet you too, Clay! Next time around we'll have to get out on the town and meet some of those Hotlanta women!

I just can't believe it's all over now and I have to go back to work tomorrow.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
She was a cutie no doubt. What about the healthy chocolate chick? I think her shirt said "Want Some?" but I was too distracted to recall.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Further investigation reveals that the prize from the actual competition was only $1000 and the other 20k was from the company she works for. They're apparently trying to up their professionalism and standing in the biz and offered that to any of their barista's who win the competition.
There's a bit of brewhaha (sp?) on the boards now about whether that's kosher or artificially inflating the prize level for this type of event. That's prompting some further discussion about whether driving up prices such as the Best of Panama Esmerelda to $130lb (purchased by some industry leading companies) isn't the same thing, or worse, since it's an exorbitant amount to pay for a non-rare coffee and the winning grower isn't exactly a poor coffee farmer who's getting a premium for a great crop. I don't know much about him but his name is Daniel Peterson, not Lopez or Herrera or something. Part of the idea behind coffee competitions is to bring awareness of high quality specialty coffees and get more money to growers who often make a very poor living. But on the other hand, great coffee is great coffee no matter who grows it so it's hard to fault a wealthy farmer for going the extra mile to grow an outstanding crop.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well hell, there is that single cup machine that sold for what 15K...

and no it does not give you a blow job after.. what a waste

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Glad ya'll had a great time and it looks like it's a good time to be in the coffee business!

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah, $12,000 for a 1-cup brewer. It was a good cup of coffee but I don't think I'll have one of those anytime soon.
I've told so many peeps at work about that coffee pot. You should see the look when I tell them I'm thinking about buying one. Not really thinking about it but the looks are priceless.