What's new

Grinder Static

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Ummm, ok. :rofl:

I am referring to the static build up between the grounds and the container that "catches" them...just in case you were serious.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
My grinder has a plastic catch can, for lack of a better term, that catches the grounds.

Static builds between the grounds and the plastic and the grounds literally adhere themselves to the plastic. You have to tap the container vigorously against something to release the static which usually leads to a mess of grounds on the counter top.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've never tried it but I've heard that putting a mousepad under your grinder may help. I can't really see how.
As for the lack of static in my Ditting grinder, I've read that there is a magnet inside them near the grinding discs. What I read didn't say what the magnet was for but it kind of makes sense that it may help with the static electricity.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Todd, you'll get more static during the winter and if you live in dryer climates. I've found that if you put a few drops of water on the beans in the hopper before you grind, you'll see less static.......

works for me anyway.......

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
With my new burr grinder I have found that Brian's beans do not have much static as they are fresh roasted and full of oil. Now, with cheaper beans I find they do not have as much oil and have more static cling.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I not only have static cling, but static levitation. I pull the grounds container out and grounds fly out and all over everything. You can actually see them floating through the air.

It's kinda cool, but also very annoying.