What's new

GUNS!!!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
CZ makes excellent firearms. They are good to go out of the box. They are my go-to recommendation. Stick with something chambered in 9mm and choose a full-size model. You will have a good quality, reliable firearm that is easy and affordable to learn on.

Don't get wrapped up in what feels good in the hand as it is a useless metric. Go shoot models you are interested in and see what data you can gather: which were you most accurate with? Which could you most easily control recoil on? etc etc. Many people will shoot gun X better than gun Y, even though Gun Y "feels better."
That's a good point. I won't rule it out, but I'll try and let my shooting make the decisions rather than basing it on a comfort level.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Wow, you're going to get a lot of opinions on this one so let's nip this in the bud right now :D
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-9mm-black-3-dot-tritium-sights-18-rd-mags/
(there's also a firearms sub forum at the bottom of the page)
I loved this gun. What a great package, soft shooter, accurate as hell. Only problem was that with my little girl hands I couldn't comfortable reach the trigger in DA mode. Ended up selling it on GB for way more than I paid for it and buying a Glock 26 and SR1911 with the proceeds.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Looks like I might do some training classes, I am familiar with handling guns but it definitely could help to get guidance from an experienced individual on the proper methods. Maybe once I go through that process I might be able to make my decision.
@Angry Bill is there a reason you choose 9mm or 45? is it price/availability? or more on how they shoot?
There are many courses out there. I recommend taking a tactical shooting course. Most of them have shot, no shoot drills, as well as teach you to shoot from different types of government and concealment. And yes, there is definitely a difference between the two. I was a range master when I was in the dept, as well as an instructor. I co-teach a tactical shooting course out here and belief in practice, practice, practice, because when the Puruvial dung hits the fan, you will revert back to your training. With over 25 years of law enforcement and over 35 years of shooting both competitive and training, I stick what works. I also regularly shoot the ammo I carry in my gun, so I know how my gun performs with this type of ammunition.

As for the reason I prefer 9mm and 45 over other calibers, I go with what my training and ballistics research has shown me. Both those rounds are excellent in today's self defense ammunition, like Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty rounds, as well as the Federal Hydrashok rounds. I have done extensive testing on many of the rounds out there and these 3 are the best the public can get imho. Although I do carry Winchester Ranger SXT , which is a law enforcement ammo (I still have some) but i have been buying the Critical Defense for my new carry purchases. I also like he 380 round, but my carry which my Sig P238 is more limited to those times I must limit my gun size to a pocket gun. Otherwise, I carry my Springfield Armory 1911 EMP 9mm or my Kimber Ultra Covert II 45. Both are 3" barrels and are both outstanding conceal/work guns for me. The 40 S&W is a good round, but ballistic tests have shown the 9mm and 45 preform better. Others may agree and some will disagree. But, as I have said, what works for me, may not be good for you.

If I was still active LE, hands down I'd carry my Sig P220 in uniform or tactical entry teams. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. But, it is a big gun to conceal.

Your budget may also play a part in whatever firearm you purchase. There are many out there. Like I said before, find a range that has many guns to try. Shoot various ones and ask questions from others that own the ones you like. Do your homework, as it is an investment for you, your family and your protection. To me, my life is worth a lot, so I carry what I want, no matter what the cost. Mdwest, Mwlabel and I are here if you need advice, as are several other great brothers on this subject.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've always been interested in owning a gun, but have never gone and made the purchase for several reasons (or excuses) but would like to enter the market and possibly make the purchase within the next couple months. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on what would be a good first gun, or just what would be a good gun in general. My main intention would most likely be for sport, because I don't have a family or really anything valuable to protect at home other than myself. I know a lot of people say glocks are really good for lots of reasons: affordable, easy to maintenance, etc. but I've found that when I've used a glock at the range it doesn't really have that feel that I'm looking for. Granted I might just need to get one and then once its mine I might fall in love, who knows! But I've found I like the feel of a more weighted gun and tend to shoot better with them as well. Just figured I'd pick the brotherhood's brain on this matter as I'm sure a lot of you know way more about guns than myself. Cheers!
Being in the Firearms Industry for over 14 years, the BEST gun in general is one that is going to fit your hand/grip style. Many firearms these days are dependable and reliable... I would recommend a 9mm due to price of ammo, and overall versatility. My second recommendation would be a 3"-4" .357 magnum revolver. For the semi- autos: Springfield XD, Smith & Wesson M&P, Glock 19/17 (but you tried that one already), Ruger SR9, Sig Sauer P226/P229, Heckler & Koch P2000/USP, Beretta 92.... For the Revolvers: Smith & Wesson, Ruger, and Taurus models.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
There definitely are a million points of view on this. Personally, I'm a Glock guy all the way. I've shot a multitude of other guns, but the only gun that I've never had a failure with through tens of thousands of rounds is my Glock 19. It also requires less maintenance to perform, which is always a big plus for me.

The reality is though you need to pick up whatever gun you will actually shoot and enjoy shooting. It's much more important to continue to train (and train often) than it is what gun you might choose of the many high quality options out there. Learn to shoot well, learn the ins & outs of your specific gun, etc. I use 9mm because I can afford to train more, which is of key importance to me.

I'm also a big believer in not just range time, but actual training courses - there are many good ones out there to choose from. I try to hit at least 1-2/year when possible. Once your got some training under your belt, don't underestimate the value of participating in IDPA or a similar organization as well. It's good fellowship, non-static training - you just need to treat it as training instead of cutting corners for speed, which trains bad habits.

Just my $0.02

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I think feel has a lot to do with it. I always like to hold and handle new firearms first, just to see how they "fit" in my hand. What feels good to one person may feel wrong to another. After that I consider things like usage, caliber, reliability, longevity, and price.

There's lots of really good firearms out there to choose from so maybe a range that rents would be a good option to try some you like.

Personally I've always likes Smith & Wesson. They've performed very reliably for me and the M&P model fits my hand perfectly.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
CZ makes excellent firearms. They are good to go out of the box. They are my go-to recommendation. Stick with something chambered in 9mm and choose a full-size model. You will have a good quality, reliable firearm that is easy and affordable to learn on.

Don't get wrapped up in what feels good in the hand as it is a useless metric. Go shoot models you are interested in and see what data you can gather: which were you most accurate with? Which could you most easily control recoil on? etc etc. Many people will shoot gun X better than gun Y, even though Gun Y "feels better."
I agree whole heartedly with this advice. I recently won a full size Springfield XD .45 in a charity raffle from work. Never really liked the look or feel of these guns....... Until I shot this one. By far, it's the gun that I'm most accurate with. Real world experience should trump "feelings" every time.
That being said, my ccw pistols are an M&P 9c, and an XDS .45. Like my little 9mm more than the .45 in this instance. Shoot it better than the XDS, ammo is cheap (relatively speaking), and feels like it was made for my hand. My opinions are biased, as I love safe action pistols due to being left handed, and feel the ambi safeties on non safe actions are a hinderance to effective, in the moment scenarios........... YMMV
I applaud anyone that uses their rights to bear arms. Good on you.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
It comes down to a few things. Are you going to carry it or only use for hone defense? If only for home defense, get a pump shotgun. If you are going to carry, go to a gun range and try different ones.

The ultimate advice is get some training on whatever you purchase and practice. As for calibers of handguns, I would stick with either a 9mm or a 45. Just my opinion though based on over 25 years in LE.

Fyi, I moved the thread to the firearms sub
Home defense:

Mossberg M590A1. Ammo... 4 Buck.

Here's mine.