Brand: Gurkha
Offering: Centurian XX Perfecto
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Connecticut - dark natural
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan Ligero
Vitola: 6” x 60 Perfecto
Smoke time: 120 minutes
Construction: Good firm roll, uniform shape but with slight irregularities on the surface.
Burn: Good. Slightly uneven, but not unsightly or problematic.
Ash: Dark Silver Grey

I don’t, as a general rule pay much attention to the internet cigar specials I find in my Inbox regularly; maybe take a quick peek to see if the special is on one of my “go-tos” and I can refill the humidor. But this time it was on a cigar that I’d been a bit curious about in recent months and the deal looked pretty decent. Why not? So I ordered them, 2 bundles of 6 each. Not my preferred size, but….

In general, a nice looking cigar, good color (nice rich milk chocolate) with a slightly lumpy look to it. Others in the order looked better, but all in all not unusual for a perfecto of this size in my experience. Both the head and foot are open slightly, no cap as such. Attractive band, the Gurkha warrior on a highlighted red background with gold lettering.

I cut the head in about ¼” to give myself more draw area. Nice cutting stick, the roll maintained its shape without deforming. I lit the cigar and noticed a markedly restricted draw. Not much smoke at first, but then I don’t smoke perfectos that often.

Once the burn advanced a bit, the draw opened up to a satisfying pull with a nice resistance. Lots of smoke now, smooth with a mild flavor, impressions of leather with just the hint of spice to make it interesting but not harsh or bitey.

About an inch into the cigar I started to get more leather and spice, but now the spice was more cardamom or nutmeg rather than peppery, and a touch of sweetness reminiscent of baking chocholate started to work its way in.

The complexity built throughout the smoke, until about 2/3rd of the way down, when I did a “reverse burn” to relight after a minor distraction, and even out the end. As I smoked past the bulge, I noticed that there was a distinct softening of the roll, but not so much that the cigar suffered.

I smoked until my fingers were getting uncomfortably warm and there was no where else to move them to. Definitely a keeper.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I bought some of these off Cbid a couple of months ago for just over $5 /ea. I really enjoy these as they have good flavor and construction.

However ...

The round container they come in really sucks. It's too long and allows quite a bit of movement (ie. shipping damage). They also pack them in several ounces of shredded tobacco - which makes a real mess when you remove the cigars. If it were up to me, the "genius" who came up with this solution would be back working for Jack in the Box. :closedmou

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Fortunately, my bundles came shrink wrapped in groups of 6. I did notice that they packaged the larger quantities in tins. Thought that for a company that reportedly produces such a limited number of cigars and promotes itself as such an exclusive company wouldn't think that shipping cigars like Maxwell House coffee would be such a great idea.....

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You're lucky to have gotten them. CI sold out of that e-mail special in 20 hours. I can't remember what their replacement offer was, but it didn't compare.