What's new

H Upmann Mag46 UPE May 13

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Well, as promised on the 'what CC you smoking' thread, i am reviewing the Mag46 tonight for comparison.

I have enjoyed every Mag46 i have had thus far but have never really taken the time to spend the extra attention so im excited to find out. I have had this box resting in my own humidor for a month plus i believe, maybe 2 so any construction/burn issues may only be attributed to a cold evening but my heaters are cranking to compensate so i expect peak performance.

Anyways, the stats:
5-5/8 x 46 Corona Gorda
Stored at 65-68 degrees and 62-64% humidity(winter variance...)
Appears to be excellently constructed, very balanced and appealing
light chocolate brown wrapper, slightly toothy, minimally veined
Appears to be triple cap but hard to tell
Cut with xi3 redwood
Lit with Xikar axia double torch(finding double torch to be my sweet spot)
ashtray: @Wicket custom Monte No2 he sent for Xmas(thanks, i still love it!)

Just waiting on @Master Shake to arrive for an impromptu meetup planned about 15 minutes ago. Hes getting bossed around my his fiance so i had to wait until he kissed her feet. Im one to talk hahahahaha

Prelight: has a strange scent that i cant pin. almost like post rain dampness mixed with light tobacco. its cool out so sniffing is tough. but after cutting cap and sniffing, licorice came to mind. Cold draw is easy with a light flavor and leather left on lips with tiny spice. Not bad, but all very faint.

First impression: first puff reveals a full on sweet taste. And it disappears instantly on the second puff fading into a grassy flavor withmedium spice retro. Lets settle in...

First third: first half inch plus was filled with mostly spice and a light grassy taste. after about the 3/4" mark the spice drops off to a light version of itself filled with a creamy chocolate that really settles in nice. Nothing epic going on, but enjoyable.

Second third starts with spice coming right back. interesting. until i paid attention i never really noticed how much spice this thing brings to the table. burn is running well. light touch up almost needed but self correction kicks in. Basically burning flawlessly. Spicy chocolate. A lot of spice for a CC imo. maybe too much spice for me. I like spice mixed in but overwhelming at times just isnt in my forte at this point. Closes with mostly spice, some chocolate

@Master Shake in background in a highlighter sweatshirt...

final third rolls in with the spice and while it does down it doesnt really remove itself. becomes more of a background noise with a nice rich cocoa and slight sweetness. aside from the wrapper exploding(which is a first) it really hits it stride here and becomes a nice smoke. in the final inch the spice completely subsides and just the cocoa flavor remains.

final thoughts: more spice than id like, but enjoyable smoke. definitely lacks complexity but what it has is a solid showing. despite a wrapper explosion it smoked through with a minor touch up and smoked well throughout. Compared to the No2 from yesterday it pales in comparison but is still an enjoyable smoke for the lesser money that provides a good, but not great experience.

Score: 88

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Look familiar? WTF! Not saying anything bad about this stick at all, as I really enjoyed it (aside from this minor flaw, which I feel was partly my fault when removing the band). There was more spice on the lips than I anticipated, but overall, it was a pretty good smoke IMO. Pretty spot on review brother!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427517574.704833.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those wrappers would indicate humidity issues I would think. Get the same thing when I smoke them literally ROTT