H. Upmann Magnum 46

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand: H. Upmann

Vitola: Magnum 46 (5.6” * 46 rg)

Box Code: SUB MAR 12

Date Smoked: 7/1/17

Appearance and Construction:

Beautiful, oily colorado claro wrapper. No major veins, triple cap perfectly applied. Slight indentation in cigar due to being held by the ribbon in the 50 cab. Feels evenly filled with the exception of a slightly tight bunch just before the cap. Draw is consequently a little firm.

Prelight:

Prelight aroma of cedar and faint barnyard from the foot, preflight draw is the same.

First Third:

Initial flavours of toasted hazelnut and cedar. As smoke progresses through the third, a slightly sweet milk chocolate note becomes present. Well balanced and very tasty, though smoke volume is a bit low due to the tightness of the draw. Body is consequently quite light, as is strength at this stage. Perfect pairing for Ugandan/Brazilian long black, which has a nice heavy body and strong notes of caramel and chocolate.

Second Third:

The toasted hazelnut note from the first third has slowly been becoming more complex, morphing into more of the typical H. Upmann baking spice flavour. Cedar and milk chocolate still present. Strength has slowly increased to a light-medium, and is continuing to build, with a slight amount of black pepper like spice present now at the back of the throat. This cigar has some of the most aromatic resting smoke of any cigar I have had in a long while, not in the least bit oppressive. Draw is slowly opening up, and while the burn has not been dead straight, no touchups have been required.

Final Third:

Strength still increasing gently, now at a solid medium. The cedar and baking spice notes have been replaced by a strong espresso note, which combines well with the note of milk chocolate (now a bit sweeter too), and the black pepper spice. Almost like smoking a totally different cigar from the first two thirds. Draw has finally opened up nicely now. Body has increased to full. No touchups needed, and only a couple of purges after the band on the way to the nub.

• Excellent cigar, even with the tight draw. A perfect draw would have made this a cigar for the ages haha.

NOTE: This review is out of the book of reviews I have, that over time I want to upload some of the best ones to BOTL. So in essence it is a bit of a retrospective review, and as such I have no photos. I do apologise. I love a good photo in a review as much as the next guy so please bear with me, they will all have photos soon! :D

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
thanks for the review. I now know what i'll smoke next. Did you consider a poker? or was it not that bad.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the review. I now know what i'll smoke next. Did you consider a poker? or was it not that bad.
Honestly, I did think about it, but the flavour was good, like really, really good the whole way through the smoke. I am of the opinion that with some cuban cigar blends, that a tight draw can actually coax more flavour out of the cigar, at the expense of smoke volume and in most cases body. Its a trade off I guess.