What's new

H.Upmann Magnum 50

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Brand: H.Upmann
Name: Magnum 50
Size: 6.5 x 50

First impression: A light wrapper with visible veins, kind of creamy looking like peanut butter. The foot is a little earthy and a little fresh cut grassy. Flavor on the lips is a bit bitter and the dry draw is mild earthy/woodsy combination.

Cut: The cut cracked the wrapper, not badly but a piece has come off. The cigar was stored at 70%rh so no reason for this in my mind.
After lighting the first few puffs deliver a pleasant creamy almost woodsy sweetness. Like licking the remaining milk chocolate from an ice cream stick.
The draw is a medium effort and smoke production is average. Smoke at rest is minimal and the aroma is nondescript. It's not stinky, it's not sweet, it's there and is not a factor in this stick.
The ash is loose looking so I tested it at about a 1/2 to 3/4 and it dropped off with a tap.

First 3rd: The first third is wrapping up to be consistent in all aspects. No issues and the flavors are solid. This is a decent smoking cigar so far.
The burn has been somewhat even, the ash starts off as a medium grey and turn into a dirty grey after some time.
I am getting an after effect in the mouth. It's not unpleasant but I'm not sure how to describe it. It's not a flavor, more of a texture. I don't want to call it oily but it's the same thing I get with oil based salad dressings. They coat your mouth and stick around for a bit. Again, this is not bad, just the best way I can describe it.

Second 3rd: The second third brings in a pepper finish at each puff. It came in somewhat unexpectedly and only a couple of puffs into the second third. Much like biting into a peppercorn you didn't see but not as strong. It's a pleasant change to this very consistent stick.
I'm drinking water with this but I do wish I had a cup of light coffee. This is not a strong cigar flavor wise up to the middle but it is getting a bit hearty at the half. The pepper finish seems to come and go.
The burn has evened out a bit and has a nice dark ring on this light colored wrapper.
Well, this second third has been a roller coaster ride hitting every corner from mellow sweetness to pepper and taking a loop around a bit of nutty creaminess. I love a cigar that grows as you smoke it and I have to say this one does. It slowly gets better and better.
The burn has been consistent, the draw consistent and the flavors ... Well, a roller coaster.

Final 3rd: I'm pairing the final third with a cup of coffee (Nothing special but I don't want to give up this cigar and I'm freezing my fingers off). There is only one thing that has disappointed me so far. The fact that they see to have used super glue on the label and it has takes another small price of wrapper from my luscious stick.
The final on this cigar has been a nice slow down in. Maybe due to the coffee but in no way was it a let down or a bad experience. As I expected it paired well with my coffee and the end brought some strength to this cigar that I did not expect. I have a nice little cigar buzz going on.
The end was bringing some heat but not to an unpleasant level. If I didn’t have things to do I could have easily nubbed this.

How long did it take to smoke: 2:50 – 4:25 (95 minutes) Add another 20 min if you take this to a nub.

Recommend: Yes, I wonder how this would improve with age but I can say having had this in my stock for a few weeks it was a great smoke.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Nice review. I enjoy the mag 46 with age, but not something I stock up on. never had a mag 50. What year is this one from?
I dont know the year. I got it as a part of a cigar club shipment for Oct. I have to assume it's recent and probably not aged (3/5+ years) but it could have been rested (1-2 years).

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice review, I did notice you took a pretty good piece off the shoulder, you might try cutting closer to the first 'cap' really just taking that very end piece off, might be why you got a bit of the wrapper cracking.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I had to look at that pic again because I wasn't sure what you were talking about then I realized what you're seeing is the portion where it had chipped off after it had been smoked for a while. Its wet and has expanded from its original shape.
I do cut close to the first cap. If you look closely you'll see how its a little darker and winked... that the binder not the wrapper.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Nice review! Did you cut it inside or when you got outside? I know weather plays havoc with cigars. I spent 2 days in NYC last week and it SUCKED smoking outside in winter!

82 in LA at the moment...