What's new

H Upmann Royal Robusto

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

H. Upmann Royal Robusto

Took some vacation time and earmarked a few cigars to smoke and review over the next few days.

Been hearing some great things about this cigar. *Went down to my local LCDH and grabbed one to give it a whirl a couple of weeks ago. (paid retail. *OUCH!! *LOL) *Had it rest in my smoking humidor to reduce the humidity as the LCDH keeps their ambient humidity a little too high for my liking. *

This is a 2011 LCDH release. Been a little hard to find as they been bought up like crazy.

The wrapper is a golden colorado brown colour. *Reminds me of my Leather couches. *LOL. *No veins to speak of. *Nice and silky smooth. *

The cigar is very firm and well packed. *A little spongy at the foot of the cigar but should be no worries.

The aroma from the wrapper is roasted nuts and a faint aroma of leather. *A little honey and expresso mixed in as well.

The triple cap is all good. *Ready to receive my punch. *I prefer a smaller punch hole as it concentrates the flavours IMHO.

Cold draw reveals honey, a hint of earthiness, caramel. *

Time to take this to the flame.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

First third

The cigar has a nice calming effect. *Very balanced for a young cigar. *Notes of honey, vanilla, a slight exposure to cedar. *Very delicate. *Medium at best in terms of strength. *NO harshness at all, which is nice. *I do find that the tobacco quality and cigar construction has gone up dramatically in the last few years. *

The draw is easy peasy. *Well constructed cigar. *Nice, even draw. *Delicious. *It's been rare that I have a plugged cigar from 2008 to current. *The introduction to the draw testers have made an impact, combined with quaity craftmanship. *

The burn line is very strong and the ash holds on throughout the first third. *The ash is a 'Dirty' grey and is fairly dense.

A hint of earthiness comes in and out, playing peek a boo with me. *

Afterfinish is very clean. *Tobacco, honey, a touch of leather. *Nothing overpowers one vs. another.

Very pleasant cigar so far...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

2nd third
The balance of this cigar is refreshing. Everything is harmony. I have to say that there is little change in terms of the flavours. Fairly consistent so far. I don't think this is a bad thing if you are looking for a straightforward, smoking well type of cigar.

I am not sure that this will develop with age though seeing that it is so enjoyable now. Would be hard to keep your hands off of. LOL

The cigar has a good weight to it as I smoke it. Billows of smoke still emanate from both the foot and head of the cigar. No amonia or harshness to speak of yet.

No change in strength as well. consistent and balance are the two words that keep coming to my mind as I smoke this.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Final third
The sweetness has picked up in this cigar. Honey and caramel. Both on the draw and the afterfinish. The tobacco taste has more purity in the aftertaste as well.

Burn line continues to be razor sharp. Strength seems to have picked up a touch. Bolder earthy notes coming through now as well. Some nuttiness as well.

wait a minute. Hold the bus. A soupy characteristic has made an entrance. Bleh!!!! Hope this goes away...

Srength has picked up in the back stretch. WTF?!? What a change of events! Didn't see this coming. Changes my perspective on ageability.

The soapiness has dies down but still has faint reoccurances. More expresso tones have some out as we get to the end.

Soapiness has come back. Leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Got to put this one down as it is overwhelming the cigar. The cigar has gone from a calm, peaceful trip to a tsunami!!! This cigar just turned up the volume to overload and became too harsh to finish.

What a roller coaster of a cigar. Just when I thought that this would be pretty straight forward, it wallops me in the junk.

Overall, I think I need to try another one to revisit in a few months. The first 2 thirds were very enjoyable and I suspect would be more indicative of the cigar. I am hoping that the last third is an anomoly and that the next one is better. Not sure if I would invest in a box, based on today's smoke.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Art:

Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about these, as I'm a fan of the H. Upmann line.

Sorry to hear that they final 3rd was a little dissapointing.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great review! Hope the soapiness is just due to the youth of the cigar, the first 2/3 sounded like it was great!