What's new

Habanos Torres 30 Year Aged Colorado Wrapper Perfecto

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This will be my first cigar review. I normally just enjoy my cigars and think nothing of the taste other than, Damn that's good stuff! I had a chance to smoke alone for a little while and examine the flavor and other properties of this cigar. Also, I tried an experiment which does not apply to the cigar itself.

Normally I just cut my perfectos so that there is a little bit of a curve but tonight I tried punching it. The draw at first was great. With the punch I could really control the amount smoke I could get through the cigar. I was able to get a very little bit or quite a bit of smoke dependent on how much I wanted. Unfortunately the narrow end collapsed due to my overzealousness. After cutting it the draw was very smooth produced a good deal of smoke.

The burn is something that I always have some issues with. My brothers down at Habanos Torres always laugh at me and my unfailing ability to create a canoe (the cigar burns down one side and makes it look like a dugout canoe). The shape being a perfecto normally makes it quite simple. Unfortunately I had no one to ask about the cigar being completely lit. The cigar burned about 2 inches before I took off the somewhat burnt wrapper and the rest of the burn was quite regular until the last two inches. The cigar was quite fresh and unfortunately the burn for last two inches created another canoe effect.

Now on to the flavor. This is a 30 year aged tobacco cigar. The Colorado wrapper makes it look like something chocolatey and this one did not disappoint. The first few puffs had a very small bit of spiciness to it. After the perfecto widened out the "treat" hit my mouth. The increased draw allowed for the smoke to flow and for me to fully savor it. The cigar being aged and fermented for the amount of time it was allowed for the smooth flavor and had a very nice aroma. The rich flavor reminded me of Mexican hot chocolate.

OK folks I hope this gives you an idea of what it is I smoked tonight. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Wow Matt!!!! Tell us more about this smoke? Where did ya get it? what's the blend? Howhow old is the cigar? when was it rolled with a thirty year old wrapper? Got any pictures!!!!!!!!!!

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got it from Habanos Torres in Mesa, AZ. Operated by my friend Tim Torres. I think I may have been a little bad in my grammar. The cigar itself is made with 30 year aged tobacco and has a Colorado wrapper. It was rolled quite recently as I said:

The cigar was quite fresh and unfortunately the burn for last two inches created another canoe effect.
I'm thinking it was most likely rolled about a week or two weeks ago.

As far as the blend goes it's not something I thought to ask as Tim blends all of the tobacco.

Some more information about Habanos Torres for you guys. It is operated by Timothy Torres and all of the cigars are blended/rolled by Tim. Tim is a 5th generation cigar roller/blender and he has been rolling almost all of his life. His father started selling the cigars he rolled when he was 6. He started blending at the age of 17. All cigars are handmade on site with blends he created himself. If you're good friends with him he may create a custom blend for you (he did for me), and he may roll you a cigar fresh without a wrapper. He calls that 'true Cuban style.'

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That one was $25 but anywhere else it would cost a lot more. Unfortunately Tim doesn't let me smoke anything less than that.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
MithShrike said:
That one was $25 but anywhere else it would cost a lot more. Unfortunately Tim doesn't let me smoke anything less than that.
Wow!!! You must have a great cigar budget, or none at all!!!! What makes his cigars worht $25or more..Not being a jerk, I just would like to know how i would justify spending that much on a stick. Specially when you can get WELL aged cuban sticks for that price!!!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Matt, Sounds great, we'll do a trade instead. But serious, what do you think makes it a $25 cigar? How about on a MOnday, Tues or Wed????

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What makes it a $25 cigar... well damn I've not smoked anything really other than Habanos Torres so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Well, first of all I know that what I am getting was made with passion and by a good friend who knows his trade. Secondly, the cigar is fresh. Thirdly it's just damned good.

You may want to ask The Searcher another brother who frequents Habanos Torres. A Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday is fine with me I go and hang out with my friend quite often so no worries. I get off at 7pm.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ohpus let me see if I can answer your question on what makes this a $25 cigar well for Matt it is what he likes the most and I think he only smokes one or two a week. For me I smoke less expensive cigars because I tend to smoke 10-15 a week. The Top Shelf cigars at Tim's I think taste as good or better than any cigar that is availible in town. The few CC cigars that I have had the pleasure of smoking are of a different flavour profile. We don't have a "hook up yet for CC" and his $6-$10 smoke nice also. I PM'd you with my cell call me and lets herf a few and talk about the problems of the world I know we can solve a few.