What's new

Haggle like a pro?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looking for some tips/advice on haggling as I’m in the process of buying my first car. Narrowed my choice down to a cpo 2015 Acura tlx v6 (or the 4 cylinder if no one is willing to budge on price.) so far two dealerships have only been willing to take off 300 from the sticker price. I was expecting to get closer to 2000 off sticker which ranges from 22000-23500 depending where you look. I’m hoping this Saturday being the end of the month and quarter will motivate them to meet my number. Or am I being unreasonable in today’s market?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah the prices I put are what they are listed for on cargurus and the dealers are maybe 30miles apart. I think they are being real stiff on price because the v6 is hard to find cpo.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Coming from a car guy, and there’s other car guys here on this forum, often there isn’t a huge margin on CPOs.

You gotta remember, those are cars usually coming off lease - the dealer has to “buy out” that lease to add it to their inventory and then do the specific CPO inspection.

The best advice I can give you is to have a number in your head and present it, but be realistic. If it’s super clean and has what you want, right color, etc., be prepared to pull the trigger on it if it’s where you want to be price-wise.

Let the sales guys do their job and take it to their managers, and if it’s reasonable, they’ll accept. The dealership still has to make a few bucks to keep the lights on and such, but if you’re finding that the flex is the same between dealers, the price might not be that far off.

As for being the end of the month, everyone’s trying to hit goals, but if you’re buying a used car, the goal isn’t one set by the OEM, but maybe that sales guy needs to sell one more car to hit his personal goal.

Shoot me a PM, or if you have my number, shoot me a text, and I’ll do what I can to help.

EDIT: If your car is “hard to find” as a CPO - then you might just have to either flex on the car (and it’s options) or the price.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
On the Edmonds Dot Com Web-site there is a long artical, where Edmonds sent a reporter under covers to do what we use to call a "White Paper" report.

Believe it is called confession of a car salesman.

It is a long read:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/behind-the-scenes-at-a-car-dealership.html

Honestly you must remember the dealership play the game many time daily, read, retread, and hope you can go armed to do battle.

As a buyer you are in totally control untill you sign the contract, lease, or fork over your cash. Remember the Car Salesman is paid on commission, or part of the profit. The Sales Staff is work against you, not for your intrest, no matter how nice they pretend to be. THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND.

The sales process is their game, you are playing their on their court so to say. The way to win is to keep control of the game, or just leave, and try another dealer.

Had a friend who family owned a Ford Dealership in NO. CA. The factory made all sort of deal like if they bought 20 Truck, they got FREE PACKAGES, and UPGRADES. So there is back end money the consumer never knows about.

They could sell a Ranger Truck $1,000.00 below invoice, and still the house made money. How much, he never ever shared that info.

Last edited: