What's new

Half bowl struggles

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
No matter how I pack any of the pipe with any tobacco at any dryness, I can only smoke half a bowl. The first half burns perfectly, with little to no trouble. I tamp and sip and all is good. But every time I get half way down, it just goes out. I relight, tamp, repack... Hell I've pulled the baccy out and repacked, but I can't get the damn thing lit. Since I still consider myself to be a big noob, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can only assume that its a packing issue. Did anyone go through something like this, and if so, how did you remedy it?

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
A lot of times when I get halfway through I gently scrape the ash off the top of the bowl and tip the bowl upside down to release it. Then I stoke the cherry a couple times and that is how I usually get through a whole bowl.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of times when I get halfway through I gently scrape the ash off the top of the bowl and tip the bowl upside down to release it. Then I stoke the cherry a couple times and that is how I usually get through a whole bowl.
This is exactly what I do if struggling to keep a bowl lit at the halfway point. Also, try puffing on your pipe while you tamp. Lastly, choke the bowl by placing your hand over the bowl while you puff, then let some air in mid puff. This can wake up dim embers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how I pack any of the pipe with any tobacco at any dryness, I can only smoke half a bowl. The first half burns perfectly, with little to no trouble. I tamp and sip and all is good. But every time I get half way down, it just goes out. I relight, tamp, repack... Hell I've pulled the baccy out and repacked, but I can't get the damn thing lit. Since I still consider myself to be a big noob, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can only assume that its a packing issue. Did anyone go through something like this, and if so, how did you remedy it?
That's interesting. If this is happening so consistently ... I would be lead to believe that you are having loading issues of some kind. I make that assumption only because I gravity load my bowl until it starts to overflow, at which point I begin to pack the tobacco. Doing it that way - for me - means that the second half of my bowl usually smokes a little better than the first. So long as I don't tamp too much.

You might be tamping too much?

You can also try using your poker to allow for an airway when you get 1/2 way down if it's packed too tight to keep lit?

Keep us updated, and let us know what you find out as you work this out for others who might have this issue.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I tried everything yall suggested. I actually do choke the bowl when I smoke, anyways. I scraped the ash off today and it relit easier, but it still didn't want to light properly. I use a gravity load method, I'll try a different one next time I smoke :/

Rating - 100%
231   0   0
me too

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have this problem as well.

Tried plum pudding for the first time today, couldn't keep that lit to save my life unless I puffed non stop. That did two things, made the smoke taste bad, which made it unenjoyable and the bowl was cashed after 30 minutes. a bit too quick for what I packed I think!

If you figure it out please let us know!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had this issue when I began with the 3 tier method. Just didn't work for me. I suggest looking into different packing techniques and finding the one that best suits you.
I use to run into this problem as well and do the 3 tier packing and on the first tier I will twist the tobacco into strands so that when it begins to burn it will ignite better because of the tobacco being twisted together. The second tier I just put in as a pinch and tamp it down a little and the last tier I twist again and tamp. I take a draw and if it seems too tight I'll aerate and test again for the draw. Once it has a good draw then I light and so far I've hardly ever had a bowl that didn't smoke really well and maybe I'd have to relight twice and my pipes have a good size bowl on them. Average smoking time per bowl is about half an hour.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I have this problem as well.

Tried plum pudding for the first time today, couldn't keep that lit to save my life unless I puffed non stop. That did two things, made the smoke taste bad, which made it unenjoyable and the bowl was cashed after 30 minutes. a bit too quick for what I packed I think!

If you figure it out please let us know!
I find that Plum pudding needs a lot of drying time

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I've been working through the same issue. I think I've found the culprit is tamping too hard. I now try to only use the weight of he tamper and don't actually push on it much. So far it seems to make a difference (assuming I packed correctly and the tobacco was dry enough)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Everything stated above me are pretty decent suggestions. And try them out as well. You'll learn as you go what method works the best for you. And once you find the niché, you stick with it.

Personal experiences:

My problem. I sometimes pack my bowls way too tight. Because I want it to give a nice tight draw. And yes, pre-light I've taken out the baccy and re-packed it sometimes with more or less in the bowl.

My tamping sucks. Just recently, I've learned to be gentle and it doesn't need to be pushed to a breaking point that it's too tight to the bottom of the bowl. I suffocate the baccy and get a terrible draw.

Re-lights...absolutely NOTHING wrong with multiple re-lights. I've done it 100 times probably in one bowl smoked. Some baccy's I packed perfect and had 1 re-light. Actually it was Goat Herder baccy gifted to me from Jeff (@plumber1965). Smoked like a charm and like I said only 1 re-light after the initial light. The bowl I'm smoking right now...Piper's pleasure from Boswell's in my Nording Signature pipe. So far I've had 3 re-lights plus initial light.

Lastly, kick back with a drink of your choice and RELAX....

Oh and not bad for me suggesting things since I've only been piping 4 months, 7 pipes and a sh*t ton of baccy later....enabling bastids!!! LOL.