What's new

Happy BOTLthday to me!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
A year ago I registered here. I stumbled across the sobriety thread after someone just posted that he was going to give sobriety a shot. (Happy one year again, brother) I was newly back into cigars after about 15 or so years away. It's funny to think how noobish I was when I started up here. I thought that there was no way in hell I would ever spend more than $2 for a cigar, and that those of you who did were chumps. I thought my Quality Importers 25 count humidor was going to A) be enough and B) actually be with the $25 I paid on Amazon. (I mean, it had great reviews!) I thought I knew it all! Surprise surprise surprise! As I sit here, enjoying an Illusione Haut 10 (gifted to me, of course; I'd never spend this much on a cigar lol) that I pulled out of my over-stuffed wino, I am still in here peeking at RH, humidor, tools, rolling etc threads just to keep learning more.

But, that's not even the half of it. What really makes this place special are you guys. The brothers. I couldn't believe the stuff I was seeing when I joined up. The bombs flying left and right, people knowing and caring about each other's lives and the goings-on in their world. When I found the sobriety thread, I found a little place where I thought I could contribute something, and I wanted to be a part. Not because I had any hope of ever being bombed (in fact I actually didn't want that…) but because I was lonely, honestly.

Living in a new city with no friends or family, being a full time stay-at-home dad, trapped inside with a two-year-old all day…it was hard, man. I was about to turn forty and didn't know how I fit in the world. First time ever not working, first time ever being stuck in the house/playground/etc without any chance to develop any social life of my own, it all just left me kind of in an identity crisis. And then I found you guys.

I expected you to be a bunch of snooty cliquey poopooheads, but you welcomed me. You reached out to me. You got to know me. You made me feel like a part of BOTL. And for a couple hours a day, when I put my guy down for his nap, I could come sit outside and have a window to the outside world, and friends to share the view with. But even more importantly than that, I found the space where I could reconnect with myself. Through talking with you guys, sharing herfs, emailing, texting, I started to feel more like myself, more accepted, more comfortable with who I am.

And there hasn't been hardly a lick of judgement that I've found here. Amongst this fellowship of men I have found the most kind, generous, and genuine people I've ever come across (outside of the rooms of AA)! You have not only helped me rediscover myself, but you've shown me how to better myself! There's not a day goes by where I don't have a BOTL to thank for some bit of advice or shared experience that helps me at home, in the world, or here on the boards. What you've taught me has helped me to be a better father, husband, friend, AA member, citizen etc. I don't know how to thank you all, and I won't make any lists here because I don't want this to be a snooty cliquey circle-jerk (but you know who you are) but I do want you to know just how much you've meant to me. And every time I see another new member getting into the act, or participate in shenanigans, or read about someone's life success/struggles, it gets better.

Thank you, BOTL, so very much, for everything. Looking forward to year two! I love you dudes!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Happy Anniversary! This place is special as you mentioned and I am also happy to be part of it. I too couldn't believe the generosity of everyone when I joined up (little over a year ago). There are a great group of brothers here and I look forward to the years to come. You are also a great example of a true BOTL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Well @VeLoRoK .. happy BOTL-versary ! I'd like to remind you, .. you've contributed to our community as well ! (y)
The place wouldn't be the same, without ya ! Plus all those laughs in the Dog Rocket Pass thread !! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks man. I can't wait for round four! It'll be fun having @Glassman in the mix. Maybe @jtfrizzy too, he deserves it for smacking me around.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Happy Anniversary! This place is special as you mentioned and I am also happy to be part of it. I too couldn't believe the generosity of everyone when I joined up (little over a year ago). There are a great group of brothers here and I look forward to the years to come. You are also a great example of a true BOTL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks dude!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
A year ago I registered here. I stumbled across the sobriety thread after someone just posted that he was going to give sobriety a shot. (Happy one year again, brother) I was newly back into cigars after about 15 or so years away. It's funny to think how noobish I was when I started up here. I thought that there was no way in hell I would ever spend more than $2 for a cigar, and that those of you who did were chumps. I thought my Quality Importers 25 count humidor was going to A) be enough and B) actually be with the $25 I paid on Amazon. (I mean, it had great reviews!) I thought I knew it all! Surprise surprise surprise! As I sit here, enjoying an Illusione Haut 10 (gifted to me, of course; I'd never spend this much on a cigar lol) that I pulled out of my over-stuffed wino, I am still in here peeking at RH, humidor, tools, rolling etc threads just to keep learning more.

But, that's not even the half of it. What really makes this place special are you guys. The brothers. I couldn't believe the stuff I was seeing when I joined up. The bombs flying left and right, people knowing and caring about each other's lives and the goings-on in their world. When I found the sobriety thread, I found a little place where I thought I could contribute something, and I wanted to be a part. Not because I had any hope of ever being bombed (in fact I actually didn't want that…) but because I was lonely, honestly.

Living in a new city with no friends or family, being a full time stay-at-home dad, trapped inside with a two-year-old all day…it was hard, man. I was about to turn forty and didn't know how I fit in the world. First time ever not working, first time ever being stuck in the house/playground/etc without any chance to develop any social life of my own, it all just left me kind of in an identity crisis. And then I found you guys.

I expected you to be a bunch of snooty cliquey poopooheads, but you welcomed me. You reached out to me. You got to know me. You made me feel like a part of BOTL. And for a couple hours a day, when I put my guy down for his nap, I could come sit outside and have a window to the outside world, and friends to share the view with. But even more importantly than that, I found the space where I could reconnect with myself. Through talking with you guys, sharing herfs, emailing, texting, I started to feel more like myself, more accepted, more comfortable with who I am.

And there hasn't been hardly a lick of judgement that I've found here. Amongst this fellowship of men I have found the most kind, generous, and genuine people I've ever come across (outside of the rooms of AA)! You have not only helped me rediscover myself, but you've shown me how to better myself! There's not a day goes by where I don't have a BOTL to thank for some bit of advice or shared experience that helps me at home, in the world, or here on the boards. What you've taught me has helped me to be a better father, husband, friend, AA member, citizen etc. I don't know how to thank you all, and I won't make any lists here because I don't want this to be a snooty cliquey circle-jerk (but you know who you are) but I do want you to know just how much you've meant to me. And every time I see another new member getting into the act, or participate in shenanigans, or read about someone's life success/struggles, it gets better.

Thank you, BOTL, so very much, for everything. Looking forward to year two! I love you dudes!
I'm at a loss for words. Simply Fantastic man. Congratulations on so many levels. That is just so great to read.