What's new

Hario Cold Brew 1000ML Coffee Pot

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Several members now have the Hario Cold Brew 1000ML Coffee Pot, and for some reason the instructions that came with it are only in Japanese.
  1. Grind your coffee coarse, my burr grinder does 1-20 with 20 being the finest, so I use a grind of 3. I recommend a burr grinder because of consistency vs a blade grinder that is harder to get a constant grind. Remember quality coffee makes a difference, since this is where all the flavor will come from.
  2. Fill the Mesh Filter with coffee grinds until you can't see any mesh when looking down into the filter.
  3. Place filter back in the glass pot.
  4. Pour cool water (quality of water matters as coffee is mostly water) through the grinds until the pot is full. This could take some time, because as the grinds get saturated it slows the process up. I find that by pour the water through the grinds you start the extraction process faster vs using fill the pot up to 800 ml and put the filter in method.
  5. Once pot is full put on the top and throw it in the fridge.
  6. Leave in the fridge for minimum 8-12 hours to allow the extraction process to occur. I typically leave mine in the fridge for 48 hours, but I prefer strong coffee.
  7. Once extraction is completed some people recommend transferring to a resealable glass container.
  8. Once this is finished drink your damn coffee black as nature intended.
    • Iced coffee I just pour the extract over ice and drink
    • Hot Coffee I do a 1 part extract with 2 parts boiling water.
There are several good sites out that have recipes on how to turn your cold brew into those milky sweet concoctions. Since I don't use a lot of sugar I don't have recommendations on those recipes.

It is also important to dump and clean the filter immediately after you are done extracting. If the coffee starts to mold in the filter you will never get the mold out off of the filter.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Less acidic and less bitter. It also makes a an extract that can be diluted if need be. I typically don't dilute because I like a stronger black coffee.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I read somewhere a recipe that called for a sprinkle of coarse salt right before drinking. Anyone tried that?
always did that while brewing big batches of church coffee. Probably old wive's tale but seemed to make it less bitter.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I love cold brew! You definitely have to play with the strength though. If one of your batches is too strong, you gotta dilute it down with water. Once I downed a large cup and didn't realize how strong it was; I had this weird I'm going to die feeling for about an hour haha.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Had been planning to pick up a couple more of the Hario ever since someone got me spoiled on cold brew... *ahem...@jvonier...ahem* but just never got around to placing an order.
A business next to where I work gets samples from manufacturers/retailers to do advertising photography, then has a yearly sale to clear out all the samples. I pickup up all this gear for $5/ea:

Now I'm a cold brew machine!

Thanks again, Jim!

Last edited: