What's new

Has anyone purchased from typical "smoke shop" B&Ms

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all, So I don't live anywhere near a decent B&M, but I have a few of those corner lotto/beer/tobacco shops that have seem to have a walk in humi and a few of those smoke shop variety stores that carry bongs/vape/etc with large walk ins as well.
I have been in them all to scope them out before, but I am not sure whether or not what I've observed are considered as red flags. The walk in humi had no climate control as soon I opened the sliding door I was met with a furnace blast to the face. The temperature more often than not seemed to be very high. No humidification system to speak about, no control panels to adjust or hygrometers to indicate temp or RH. I have seen some of these locations spread around some Boveda packs here and there and they were the small 8 gram packs and were all crunchy like a vacuum pack of crackers. Most of these locations the cigars seemed to me to be very dry slightly crunchy while only one location the sticks I've asked to see were not as dry and had a little give. Most of the staff had no clue about the cigars they were selling and usually unable to answer any questions I had.

I was offered what seemed to very very tempting deals for cigars that usually would retail for $10+ for example I was offered 5 for $20 for any Montecristo that were on the shelf including the Espada Guard which had a sticker price at $15.50. Has anyone ever come across these type of shops where it seems the humidor was severely neglected? What are the chances of picking up a few of these sticks and being able to bring them back to good smoking condition?

Sorry for the long winded post, I am interested in everyone's input whether or not getting some sketchy sticks and nursing them back is viable.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seems like you nailed the potential problems of "corner store" cigar shops. You may find one that knows how to treat cigars but don't be surprised if you don't.
Any reputable shop will be able to tell you the temps and humidity of their humidor.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I think his question was more along the lines of weather those cigars could be "re conditioned" to be smokable...?

My hesitancy with places like that is possible Beatles and or mold.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember back in the 70's buying them out of the glass cabinet counters in original full service gas stations. Best 2 bits I ever spent. ;)
Yep, I did that too. The only thing was my palate and knowledge of cigars were not well developed nor was the selection that great. Today, I wouldn’t touch a cigar like those. I was more into pipes in my youth but smoked a cigar on occasion if I ran out of tobacco for my pipe. Humidification back then was water on foam, in a glass vile.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
My first 15 years of cigar smoking were AC Grenadiers and the like that were kept behind the counter at the drug store with no humidification of any kind.

Imagine my delight when someone gave me my first hand rolled, properly humidified cigar.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
yeah honestly better dry than overhumid. beetles can just be frozen and i know dry sticks can be saved, but what i DONT know is what timeframe it takes for a dry stick to be permanently effected in a negative way or ruined.

i dont have any experience with places like this as even the local cig/vape shop by me thats literally just called "SMOKES" keeps their humi climate controlled very well...maybe buy a singleton and try to revitalize it? if successful then go for a bigger purchase next time.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
If it was me and I was gonna take a chance, I'd pull sticks from the bottom of the boxes not the tops

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another thing to keep in mind is if they have been too dry for an extended period (likely), the oils that produce the flavor in the cigars will be permanently evaporated. You can bring back the burning characteristics over months by re-hydrating them, but the flavor that is gone is gone forever. I would stay away personally.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
One place close to me has the incense so strong you can taste it. Another has a Walgreens humidifier in there and all the cigars cellophane‘s are clouded. The incense place has them in a large nice cabinet humidor and the humidity is usually down in the fifties. Usually a good variety of decent smokes, Brazilias, Rocky Patel, aging room. The humidifier place has a great selection of ruined LFD’s. Boxes and boxes.
Wouldn’t buy from either and it pains me to see it. I’ve never said anything to either of the owners.

Sent from The Department of Arrested Development using an elevated sense of self worth.