What's new

Hawk is back!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi guys,

Just letting everyone know that I am now officially back from my kayaking holiday.
I came home a couple of days ago but had spent the last few days trying to find out whether some of my family (aunt, uncle, cousin and his family) who were in thailand at the time of the tsunami and later reported missing are ok. We have now been notified of their wellbeing and everything is good with them.

So sorry if I have been absent lately but I am sure you guys understand:)

Anyway, the kayaking expedition went very well and I got stacks of pics to show anyone interested.

I will put them all on a website and write a day by day account of the trip. It'll take a day or two to get organized but won't be far away for those who like to see the pics of tropical islands down under.

As an example, Rebecca and I spend 5 days on an island all by our self.. not a single other person. We used this island as camping base and went for day paddles to other islands and different beaches. I have also experienced sea kayaking in 6.5 feet swells and almost storm winds.. and that wasn't fun.. life pretty much starts flashing in front of your eyes *laughs*..

We were heading to one island and got trapped in the build up to a storm (cyclon actually) and contemplated trying to make it over before the storm hit... that is when the 6.5feet swell started to hit us... so I made the call to turn around... and as I was turning.. the kayak started surfing down one breaking wave and I actually surfed across the bow of Rebeccas kayak... now, this is not something I recommend trying!!!!!! Anyhow.. we both managed to stay in the kayaks repeeting a mantra over and over.. "relax , the boat will float.. relax, the boat will float"....the question of floating wasn't the issue, the issue was what side would be facing up??

Anyway, you'll get the full story with pics on the website when it is up and running!

Glad to be back guys and all the best for the new year to you all!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back, Hawkan!!
That sounds like a great trip and I can't wait to see the pics.
Good to hear that your family is well. :smt023

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
hawkan2580 said:
Anyhow.. we both managed to stay in the kayaks repeeting a mantra over and over.. "relax , the boat will float.. relax, the boat will float"....the question of floating wasn't the issue, the issue was what side would be facing up??
It's funny, I was camping in the Boundary Waters this summer where it is 'Paddle Only' regulated and we were caught in the middle of the largest lake up there in a storm that sounded rather similiar to what your describing. Not 6' swells where we were, but when you're in a Canoe with everything you need to survive for 14 days and the wind is blowing waves up, over your hull, you're a little worried. The point to all of this, I think I was actually saying the very same things as you two were. It must be an international 'Oh shit, I'm screwed' chant.
On a more important note, I'm sure I speak for us all when I say I'm more then happy to hear that your family is all safe and accounted for. Here's to a new, better 2005.
Cheers-
Cs

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hawk: Good to see you made it safe and sound. What a great trip it must have been. Glad the family is well. Can't wait to see the pictures. Welcome home Bro!

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Welcome back mate
exciting boat ride ... no stories of the sharks and snakes in your island?

PS
I hope your wallet can accept another note from Customs!!

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Glad to see you back man, you've been missed!!! Of course now we can't talk about you behind your back anymore...hehehe j/k man. Good to see you back and glad you had a great trip!:smt025

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Nice! Sounds like a great trip.

Glad you got back ok and your family is ok too. Welcome back hawk!

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I am very happy to hear your family is well. I can't imagine the stress you went through until you got word of their safety.

Welcome home, it sounds like you had a great vacation. As I read you post about tropical islands I look out my study window and see 4 1/2 feet of fresh snow and it is coming down so hard I can barely see the street in front of my house. I will trade you at any time. Of course the snow probably just makes you homesick :smt043

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Welcome back Hawkan! Glad you enjoyed your trip and that all turned out well. Look forward to seeing the pics.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Welcome Back..... That sounds like an Awesome Trip something i would love to do oneday... Yea those barrel rolls in the middle of the ocean are not fun at all....