What's new

HD TV Antenna

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
We've talked about it at length, but we watch just enough shows on the other channels, that we can't drop the satellite. We do plan to kill off the DirecTV and switch over to Dish in the near future; but that's simply because their automatic HD RV dish is a little over 1k cheaper. I'm tired of a 480p signal on a 1080p screen. We do use our Apple TV, but mostly to watch our ripped DVD's and BluRays, streaming video just isn't in our 5gb a month bandwidth plan.

That said, we have killed off all those services at our house, and use a HD antenna that couldn't have cost more than $30 from WalMart. It pulls in every major station in our home town, and many shows even come in with full surround sound. This is just the basic antenna that sits on the table behind the TV.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I dropped cable for a "smart tv" back in August and I couldn't be happier with the decision. Signed up for netflix and hulu plus, so I'm paying roughly $18/month for that, and I just buy any new release tv shows I'd like to watch through amazon ala carte a season at a time.

I have had a shitty antenna signal on and off, but truthfully, I really only watch local news on it these days, so I'm not terribly concerned with it.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I've been thinking about trying this for my cigar shack as I didn't bother running cable out there, just have a ps3 and laptop with netflix and nhl game center running. Not sure if I would get decent enough reception, as it's pretty much totally shaded by a tree and we're pretty far away from any major cities (Detroit/Toronto are like 100 miles either direction). Probably not worth my while eh?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Decided not to hook up cable TV when i moved in the new place in July after the fuckers charged me close to a grand for the 6-7 year old boxes that burned up in my house fire. The only times I regret not having it is to watch ESPN or the Golf Channel. I am now thinking about dumping Netflix as well because after having it 3-4 months, I can never find anything new to watch.

I don't really watch much TV anyway now that football season is over and usually just grab a movie from redbox if I want to watch something. The rabbit ears are great and I get about 15 channels of which 5-6 are ones I don't watch anything on. Reception is ok and I am just using a small antenna that plugs in and sits behind the TV.

I use this page to figure out which direction to point the antenna for certain channels for improved reception. http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx That site has a lot of great info as well.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I cut $100 a month off of my cable bill by going to basic plus. I stream Netflix through my Roku and download any TV show episode I want using my Hotfile account. Tried an indoor antenna once but didn't receive squat, I'd like to try that option again though with a better antenna.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I bought a roku, the black box and a cheap antenna from walmart last january.
I never subscribed to netflix or hulu + as i really don't watch a lot of TV. I ended
up upgrading the antenna and that was good enough for me.