What's new

Heard on talk radio...cubans = hype?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK. So I mentioned that I was starting a new thread in my "newbie" question. Here goes.

On WOAI radio (San Antonio talk radio station), there's a program on Saturday evenings called "Smoke This!" with "Cigar Dave." I'ts on between 8 and 10.

So, the other day when I was listening to the program, the comment was made that Cubans really aren't all the bomb that everyone makes them out – that the tobacco being produced in Central and Southern America has now gotten to a point that it is at least as good, if not better, than the stuff grown in Cuba. I'm not sure if "Cigar Dave" actually made this point or if I just inferred it from his comments, but is it a case of "since we can't get a cuban, they must be good" kind of thinking? Who knows...maybe "Cigar Dave" is a member of this site?

Now, being a newbie, the only cuban I've ever smoked was at age 10 when we snuck one out of my great uncles humi. I've never been so sick! (We got caught and he said he wasn't mad at us for smoking the cigar, he was just mad that we choose such a good one at an age when we couldn't enjoy it!).

So, thoughts on this? Is the stuff grown in Cuba really as great as we're all told it is (we being us newbies who only hear about cuban cigars), or is it just a case of what you can't have must be really good?

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about what each individual smoker likes. Some people may prefer NCs to Cubans, and that's fine. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Me? There isn't one single non-Cuban that does anything for me any more. Not one. And trust me, there is no least trace of "forbidden fruit" bullshit in that statement. I know what I like. 'Nuff said.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Mad Dawg pretty much summed it up. Some folks like only Cuban cigars, some folks don't like or don't think Cuban cigars are worth the money, hype, etc. Some folks like some of both. Experiment and find out what you like.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I personally like the more pure tobacco taste of Cuban cigars. To me all NC's, even the uber premium ones, either taste dry and dusty (yes, they are stored properly) or overly blended to the point they taste like there is perfume or something in them.

Smoking a good Cuban leaves almost no smokey taste in my mouth and smoking a real good one almost creates a moist feeling smoke. By moist I mean the smoke is so thick and full that it almost seems meaty.

I can understand your thought process and I can also understand the DJ's point of view. Either he hasn't ever smoked one and just assumes it is hype or he has smoked a few and they were duds. The only way you will know is if you hang out here for a while and when you get the chance, trust me you will, to try a few Cubans you will be able to decide for yourself.

Cuban cigars are just more satisfying for me.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
One comment I have to make regarding Cigar is that he has paid advertisers that produce domestic brands. What else can he say about a competitors product? Dave's show is enjoyable, and our cigar club has a helluva party every summer with him when he comes to Charlotte. His knowledge of domestic brands is fine, as long as you remember, it's one man's opinion.
My recommendation is that as you travel to other countries that allow trade with Cuba, and have a chance to smoke cuban cigars, try them. Compare them with the domestics you smoke, and make your own decision.
Nobody can tell you what you like, except you.
Just because I say Bourbon is better than Scotch doen't make it so for you.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Or could he have been trying some nice EL fakes and based his comment on that? There has been people I know stating this type of things that it after I have given them a real cuban that all of the sudden changed their mind and stating that the last one they smoked didn't taste anyting like this one... (and I made sure it was the same cigar they stated they smoked).. there are quite a few fakes out there and for one reason or another, they seem to have a habit of ending up in the hands of people who don't normally smoke cubans ha ha

Sean9689

Mr. Papagiorgio
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I agree with what Hawkan said. I find that a lot of people say, "Well, I had this Cuban in Mexico and it tasted like crap." or "My friend bought some Cubans while on a Carribean cruise and he said they were terrible." Then automatically, you can't say anything about Cubans to this person without them saying they suck.

...Oh well, more for me to buy if he keeps telling people that...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've heard the same thing from people, that they bought a cuban when they crossed the border into Mexico, and that it tasted like crap. But then again, it's the border. And I wonder if they didn't just get taken. Then again, the people who have told me about a "cuban" they smoked when they crossed the border wouldn't know a good cigar from a swisher sweet. Then again, they DO consider a swisher sweet a good cigar....

But the interior of Mexico...different story. I LOVE the interior towns and especially the mountain villages. Done some caving there. Great stuff. Just wish I would have thought to pick up a few smokes....Looks like I need a road trip.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It's all a matter of taste, combined with the above issue that Hawkan and Sean have mentioned. I have friends who I have gifted the holy grail of leaf to who's response to it has been, "eh, so?" It kills me every time too! :lol: All I can think is, DAMN, I could have enjoyed that smoke! :lol: I think some of it can also be blamed on pallates that aren't ready. I mean, I smoked cigars on and off for years before I really got into it, and some of those included Cubans while out of country. And my response was always the same: So what's the big deal? But then again, I probably couldn't have told you the difference between a Macanudo and PAM at that point either.

In the end, it's all about the taste. A good Cuban cigar, for me at least, has a flavor that I just can't find in any NCs. I still smoke NCs, and enjoy quite a few of them, but it's a completely different flavor. And in all honesty, when I light one up now a days, I have to give it a few inches to get over the fact that "the taste" just isn't there. Call it Twang, or whatever you want, but Cubans have something all their own.

Does it make them "better"? For some, hell yes. For others, apparently not.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sacaver said:
OK. So I mentioned that I was starting a new thread in my "newbie" question. Here goes.

On WOAI radio (San Antonio talk radio station), there's a program on Saturday evenings called "Smoke This!" with "Cigar Dave." I'ts on between 8 and 10.

So, the other day when I was listening to the program, the comment was made that Cubans really aren't all the bomb that everyone makes them out – that the tobacco being produced in Central and Southern America has now gotten to a point that it is at least as good, if not better, than the stuff grown in Cuba. I'm not sure if "Cigar Dave" actually made this point or if I just inferred it from his comments, but is it a case of "since we can't get a cuban, they must be good" kind of thinking? Who knows...maybe "Cigar Dave" is a member of this site?

Now, being a newbie, the only cuban I've ever smoked was at age 10 when we snuck one out of my great uncles humi. I've never been so sick! (We got caught and he said he wasn't mad at us for smoking the cigar, he was just mad that we choose such a good one at an age when we couldn't enjoy it!).

So, thoughts on this? Is the stuff grown in Cuba really as great as we're all told it is (we being us newbies who only hear about cuban cigars), or is it just a case of what you can't have must be really good?

Me thinks Cigar Dave doesn't know his ass from his elbows. :assaultri

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I agree with what everyone else has said so far. You have to smoke what you like. It's hard to make a blanket statement like his, b/c there are alot variables that go into a good cigar. The cigar may have been young, when he prefers a well aged smoke. All I can say is that I don't agree with Cigar Dave. To me, you make an ass out of yourself with a statement like his. It tells me that he doesn't respect what other people like to smoke. Just my 2 cents.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
this is definetly been said but smoke what you like... No cubans are NOT for everybody, but if your palate is ready for one then go ahead and smoke em... If not then stick to the NC and try again later....

Now since you are a newbie and have only smoked one cuban watch your head..... cause i got a package headed out to you.... Enjoy...

But the only stipulation is that you HAVE to do a review of the sticks.. i know it sucks but it is good to see what you would think of the sticks....

Clay

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Way to go Bro' Tobby4! Showin' the newb what the Brotherhood is all about!:thumbsup:

Watch your back Sacavar, things could start getting ugly. ;)

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I agree with Hawkan. I think that pretty much anybody who has tried a "cuban" in the US has had a fake. When I first joined the online cigar community I was like "yeah whatever, you guys are exaggerating the whole fake cubans deal", but since then I have run into more fake cubans than I can shake a stick at. My best friend goes on semester at sea, comes back with some great RyJ habanos that you can tell are fake just looking at them. My uncle says "hey tyler a friend of mine got some nice cohiba esplendidos in" and he shows me his brand new box of glasstop esplendidos. My aunt comes back from spain with a box of fake CoRos, my friends get "cubans" from other friends, etc.

So I will argue that just about anybody with a developed taste for cigars will almost always choose cubans over non-cubans, but the majority of the public does not question (or have any reason to question) the authenticity of cuban cigars OR have the developed taste in cigars to appreciate cubans. I have tasted quite a few fake cuban cigars, and I can honestly say that they all pretty much tasted like crap. I think that the problem is not that people don't like cuban cigars, it's that most people are not trying authentic cuban cigars. And, with a few exceptions I'm sure, people who try these fakes would not know the difference between a real cuban and a corner store blunt in the first place. It took me a while to acquire a taste for cubans, and even now I'm still not completely consumed by the dark side.

So yes, I think that most people will say that cubans are just hype, but this is because a) they have not acquired the taste for them yet and b) they have not actually had a real cuban.
So when somebody comes up to me and is like "yeah I smoke a lot of cubans I get from my friend", I usually hand them a dog rocket without the band on and they like it just fine.
That's just my two cents.

TYLER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should bring this up. I just got done reading the article The Cuban Mystique in Cigar magazine. It was a really good article about why cuban sticks are "superior" smokes. It goes into why they are banned and that how before JFK signed the embargo that he had his press secretary run out and buy all of his favorite cubans that he could find and then the next day he signed it. It talks about how the lithium in the cuban soil is what gets into the cigar and that is what gives you the nice relaxing buzz when you smoke them. Talks a lot about the history of cigars coming to america and some of the major families that brought them. And it goes on and on talking about everything, even the fakies. It's a good article and there are a few more good articles in it if you want to pick it up. It's the spring 2005 edition.

I am also a very green rookie to cigars and the only cubans I have smoked were the 2 Monte #2's (wasn't even sure of the name until i got back home and researched the fine cigar) that I picked up in mexico. And not having much to compare them too sucks but from what I experienced they were a mighty fine smoke. Went nice with a bucket of beer on the balcony of my room on the cruise ship!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clay,

I don't know what to say other than "thanks!" And I accept the terms of your offer -- a review will be forthcoming. But I'd like to then offer up a request to the group at large...since this will be my first critique on the forum, please critique the critiquer. I've got a thick hide (or at least I currently think so), so don't hold back.

Brian

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
sacaver said:
... But I'd like to then offer up a request to the group at large...since this will be my first critique on the forum, please critique the critiquer. I've got a thick hide (or at least I currently think so), so don't hold back.

Brian
We'll be more than happy to offer up suggestions, but I wouldn't worry. Just tell us if you liked them or not and what you did/didn't like about them. Certainly don't worry about trying to taste "nuances of finely aged snozz berries interlaced with hints of cinnamin and burnt umber". :hysterica