What's new

Hearth & Home Pipes?

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
The origin factory for nearly all private label lines is a closely guarded secret. Folks like Savinelli and Peterson don't want consumers to find out they're making pretty good pipes for less than their standard lines.

Same thing with the "Great Value" branded stuff at Wal-Mart and all in house brands. The bags of generic shredded cheddar cheese are probably also made in the same factory that makes Kraft shredded cheddar cheese.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
The origin factory for nearly all private label lines is a closely guarded secret. Folks like Savinelli and Peterson don't want consumers to find out they're making pretty good pipes for less than their standard lines.

Same thing with the "Great Value" branded stuff at Wal-Mart and all in house brands. The bags of generic shredded cheddar cheese are probably also made in the same factory that makes Kraft shredded cheddar cheese.
While not necessarily this specific example, generally this is true. (this is what I do)
It's cool to get to peek behind the curtain and see who actually makes what!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember back in the day a buddy of mine working in a washing machine plant. The plant made washers for just about everyone - the only difference was the knobs and logos they placed on the things.

It killed me when I knew I was buying a top-of-the-line Maytag for 1/3 the price because it had plastic knobs rather than the stainless knobs. And the logo. Warranty was the same :).

I felt like I got away with something lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Savinelli with their description:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/89142/hearth-home-signature-dark-sandblast/ said:
To celebrate 10 years of the Hearth & Home brand, we're excited to bring you Hearth & Home Signature Pipes. These are large, but surprisingly light pipes, made in the US of aged Italian briar. They're mated to glossy black, super-durable acrylic stems.
This particular series are all sandblasts with a deep burgundy-colored stain. Quantities are limited, so get yours while you can.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Back in the early 90s I worked for Radio Shack (I know, you guys just get more and more shocked at how cool I really am).

The Realistic brand of stereo equipment was made by Technics. Half the price, though

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the early 90s I worked for Radio Shack (I know, you guys just get more and more shocked at how cool I really am).

The Realistic brand of stereo equipment was made by Technics. Half the price, though
So back in the day my Nintendo wasn't working. I brought it to my buddy who was some sort of IT God back then. When we took it apart we had a great laugh.
Nintendo only guaranteed the thing for 1yr but all the internals were outsourced and (I think it was Sony, but can't remember) guaranteed for 3 or 5yrs (can't remember).

In other words. After that first year, every service call on the Nintendo was pure gravy for Nintendo. Actually - they could have made their clients super happy by stating that "just for you" all we want is a minimal shipping and handling fee and for that three or five years, they would still be making money.

What a freaking awesome business model I figure!