What's new

Heating a wineidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of using my wine cooler in the basement but, with recent sub zero temps the basement gets into the 40s. Has anyone used a heater in their winesdor?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be way off, but it Kinda seems like a bad idea fraught with potential problems. I worry a lot less about cool temps than warm ones.
Yeah, the only thing that came to mind was a Golden Rod like I use in the him vault. Only gets warm enough that you can still touch it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You want a heat source that will stay low and slow, not producing blasts of heat. Have you considered a heating pad or a growers heat mat from the garden supply. Maybe a small 15w light bulb tied into a thermostat. Toss a blanket over it so the heater doesn't recycle very often.

I use a very small ceramic heater in my converted refrigerator to maintain temps this time of year but the heater is very small in relation to the amount of space. Remember the biggest problem with cold is the swings in temperature, they can be kept in the 40's as long as the swings are minimal, a good layer of blankets will do that for you.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Heating pads can overheat though, and any heat source like that is likely to either dry things out, or create condensation issues.
You'd want something very gentle and on a thermostatic shutoff. Still doesn't seem like a good plan unless your getting big swings of extremes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try something small though like a fish aqarium pump they are like 20° warmer than room temp after they ran for awhile. But anything with an element is probly not a good idea because it will rob the wino of humidity. I wouldnt even worry about it though
Heating pads can overheat though, and any heat source like that is likely to either dry things out, or create condensation issues.
You'd want something very gentle and on a thermostatic shutoff. Still doesn't seem like a good plan unless your getting big swings of extremes.
I'll set it up with beads and see how the humidity holds before adding cigars. I searched the threads and didn't see anyone adding heat, just keeping it cool in the summer. Thanks for the advice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want a heat source that will stay low and slow, not producing blasts of heat. Have you considered a heating pad or a growers heat mat from the garden supply. Maybe a small 15w light bulb tied into a thermostat. Toss a blanket over it so the heater doesn't recycle very often.

I use a very small ceramic heater in my converted refrigerator to maintain temps this time of year but the heater is very small in relation to the amount of space. Remember the biggest problem with cold is the swings in temperature, they can be kept in the 40's as long as the swings are minimal, a good layer of blankets will do that for you.
It's an old building from 1878 so, massive amounts of stone and brick. Temp changes are very slow and gradual.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If your not going to have large temp swings just throw a blanket over the wineador and don't worry about the temps. Keep a stash in the house so you have ready to go smokes and as glassman said keep an eye on your humidity levels. Cycles of freezing and thawing could be problematic but steady at 40 shouldn't do any damage.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I lived in Northern MN for 9 Years had all my cigars in two ice chests in the basement, never had any issues , once u get the temp n Rh where u want it . Close the door and leave it , should be fine .......

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I lived in Northern MN for 9 Years had all my cigars in two ice chests in the basement, never had any issues , once u get the temp n Rh where u want it . Close the door and leave it , should be fine .......

Think you simple idea still would work in 2017, why reinvent the wheel, when a wheel works. Only thing I would improve in an Ice Chest would to make it in a variety of wood grains, so it looked good enough to move out of the basement. Then it could pass as as a Hope Chest for Cigars. Just my idea. :cigar:

The negative is would the item sell enough to justify the new woody exterior? I think so. :cigar:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out. Thanks everyone!