What's new

Help a newbie get into Coffee

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm never been a coffee drinker but here recently I've been getting the itch to start. Where do I began? I don't have a clue as to how strong I would like it to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Plenty of threads on coffee brewing methods and roasting as well. Search on them. I love my aeropress but others use the pour over or French press. You'll also want to get a grinder. Burr is preferred but a cheap blade may be a preference for you in case coffee isn't your thing you won't be out alot of money.

A decent coffee company such as Stumptown, dark matter...etc have descriptions on the sites. Get a few different roast level coffees and trial and error. There's a recent thread called "What Coffee Are you Drinking". Check it out and see what others are drinking and buy what suits you.

Darker coffees are more bold and tend to lean on choc, carmel...notes. Lighter roasts tend to be brighter and have more fruity notes to them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
For starters -- if you want awesome, rich flavor -- do NOT buy a Keurig! :stop: This is a no-brainer for people who roast and press their own, but my Keurig was a gift. The K-Cups are expensive, the brewers can be notoriously unreliable and high-maintenance and the flavor is barely acceptable. (n) The convenience factor, IMO, isn't worth the investment. Roasting your own sounds like a lot more fun to me (and it's a helluva lot cheaper!)

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
For starters -- if you want awesome, rich flavor -- do NOT buy a Keurig! :stop: This is a no-brainer for people who roast and press their own, but my Keurig was a gift. The K-Cups are expensive, the brewers can be notoriously unreliable and high-maintenance and the flavor is barely acceptable. (n) The convenience factor, IMO, isn't worth the investment. Roasting your own sounds like a lot more fun to me (and it's a helluva lot cheaper!)
How about a Nespresso?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For starters -- if you want awesome, rich flavor -- do NOT buy a Keurig! :stop: This is a no-brainer for people who roast and press their own, but my Keurig was a gift. The K-Cups are expensive, the brewers can be notoriously unreliable and high-maintenance and the flavor is barely acceptable. (n) The convenience factor, IMO, isn't worth the investment. Roasting your own sounds like a lot more fun to me (and it's a helluva lot cheaper!)[/QUOT

Good to know about the keurig.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
as has been mentioned do not get a Keurig. I have read good things about the Nespresso but coffee pods just aren't my thing. Even just a simple basic pour over and home roasted beans will probably make better coffee than most people have ever had (and it's a lot cheaper). Aeropress is another great inexpensive option. I do agree that a grinder makes a world of difference. It is just like cigars, you have to experiment to find what you like but that is half the fun of it. Different coffees from different regions all have their own unique flavor profiles.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
as has been mentioned do not get a Keurig. I have read good things about the Nespresso but coffee pods just aren't my thing. Even just a simple basic pour over and home roasted beans will probably make better coffee than most people have ever had (and it's a lot cheaper). Aeropress is another great inexpensive option. I do agree that a grinder makes a world of difference. It is just like cigars, you have to experiment to find what you like but that is half the fun of it. Different coffees from different regions all have their own unique flavor profiles.
Thanks for the info!