What's new

help for a friend

Len___T

n0ob Phreak
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Just a quick ? for you pipe smokers...a friend of mine is getting into pipes...and was wondering if I could find some brand names from ppl who smoke pipes here on site..ie the name of the tobacco...where to purchase...how to store it...etc...thanks in advance...len

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Boswell pipes!! Just call and ask because they do not advertise their tobacco.

They have excellent blends, knowledge of storing tobacco and superior craftsmanship with briar pipes.

link

slcraiders

Rockin' in the Free World
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am a huge Stanwell pipe fan and have picked up a half dozen of em' in the last few months. Great pipes for under $100. You cannot go wrong with Peterson or Savinelli either at this mid-price point. While he develops his palette and determines some favorites, there is nothing wrong with using the true and blue inexpensive Cob pipes.

As far as storage, keep them in the tins they came in or use good old mason jars. Keep out of direct sunlight, similar to cigars. Unopened tins will stay good for decades. Opened tins will stay good for a long time to. If the tobacco dries out, just give it a small spray of distilled water and let it sit a spell. The website Smokersforums.org has a wealth of information and archives on everything related to the hobby.

If you can find out what blends and strengths your friend has liked so far, I would be happy to bomb him with some nice samples of some great tobacco. Or I could send these to you for you to bomb him. Drop me a PM if interested.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
There are some sticky topics here that can also help with the general questions.

Bet bet is to go to a local tobacconist and get a couple inexpensive pipes, buy some small 1 oz samples ( a light english, a straight virginia or virginia / perique, a burley blend and something aromatic or flavored ) and have an experienced pipe smoker show you how to load + light your pipe. From there he can determine if it's something he wants to persue.