What's new

Help me with my meet

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I can't belive you even looked at this after that title... you guys are sick :twisted: :p

Kidding... kidding... I know... it's late... go to bed newt you goofy bastid.. and so on....

Anyways... I really do need help, yes I know lots of help, I need help regarding I have some smoked phesant that I'd like to send to someone but I'm concerned with the shipping part of it?

Do I have to get dry ice and the whole 9 yards or can I just priority and hope that it stay's cold? Does smoked meat even need to stay cold?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Newt said:
Does smoked meat even need to stay cold?
I don't belive it needs to be cold. I have seen smoked salmon on the shelves in the airport of Vancouver in the middle of the summer.

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Agreed, my guess would be that is doesn't "need" to stay cold. BUT, keeping it cold (i.e. small cooler with icepacks etc..) wouldn't hurt, no? Just my opinion... :wink:

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'd vaccum seal it, then stick it in a deep freezer, and after it was a solid ice chunk, i'd overnight it fedex or usps. I think it would arrive still solid.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Dang Newt, wish I knew...I'd go with Pulse's answer and ship it so it stays cold, just to be on the safe side?

Some stuff I found:

Q. "I received a gift of a smoked pheasant from a mail order company. It was packed in a box with no dry ice or frozen gel packs. It wasn't cold even though the label said "keep refrigerated." Because it is smoked, will that make it safe?"

A. Poultry and hams are smoked for flavor, not preservation. If a product is labeled "keep refrigerated," that's a warning that it must be kept cold to be safe. The only exception are country hams and dry sausages which are safe at room temperature. Bacteria don't grow in them because of the high salt content and dryness. If you think you deserve a refund, call or write the mail-order company. It is the shipper's responsibility to deliver the product on time, properly packaged and handled safely; the customer's responsibility is to have someone at home to receive it and refrigerate it immediately.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I dont have a vacume sealer :(

I wonder if I could freeze it throw it in some 1 gallon ziplocks and overnight it... how cold is it in virgina right now? :twisted:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newt said:
I dont have a vacume sealer :(

I wonder if I could freeze it throw it in some 1 gallon ziplocks and overnight it... how cold is it in virgina right now? :twisted:
That should work. I received some fish from Alaska that way he just packed freezer packs around the fish. Just make sure someone is there to receive.

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Touchy subject Shipping Poultry. And You called Us sick! BTW-Title was MEET not MEAT! :roll:

Do it right or not at all. As You are pretty close to the Day. With You needing to hard freeze and they thaw.......Meybe a nice Fruitcake?
As stated Smoking is strickly flavor in this Application. Vacuum packed, w/Dry ice is the proper way to go. Ya don't want to take the chance of a bad Bird on the Holidays, Right?

It's a Cool idea but maybe, more advance planning, Hey, about a New Years Pheasent?

Serious, You gotta handle birds careful, they can turn really fast.
Good Luck Man!

my 2 cents.

Slack 8)