What's new

HELP!! NewAir Malfunction, 120 Degrees!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member but read often. Came home and went to put some cigars in the humidor (NewAir, 250 Count) and when I opened it was hit with a blast of heat! 120 degrees! Not sure how long it's been like that, perhaps a few days(?)
Only been smoking for 4 years and don't have any experience with beetles-even I don't have them, the smell was not great. Really f#cking bummed, pissed off! Lots of good cigars in there..
Any help/advice much welcomed and appreciated

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
New member but read often. Came home and went to put some cigars in the humidor (NewAir, 250 Count) and when I opened it was hit with a blast of heat! 120 degrees! Not sure how long it's been like that, perhaps a few days(?)
Only been smoking for 4 years and don't have any experience with beetles-even I don't have them, the smell was not great. Really f#cking bummed, pissed off! Lots of good cigars in there..
Any help/advice much welcomed and appreciated
Was the light left on? Sounds like the thermo electric cooler has failed to come on or has failed entirely. I have a different brand that’s about that size. I leave mine unplugged I’ve had more issues with those things when they’re plugged in and no issues unplugged. Many will disagree but I don’t worry too much about temperature. If I’m comfortable in a room I feel like my cigars are pretty happy too. I’ve smoked some antique cigars that smoked great. Pretty sure they were in the warehouse at plain room temperature when I got them.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I guess to technically troubleshoot you’d need to know if the thermo electric cooler runs all the time or if it’s on/off with a thermostat

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
F800D354-D413-458D-B249-E05CE35D14A0.jpegYour thermo electric cooler should look something like this. You’d need a voltage meter to see if you are getting current I currently do not know what voltage you should get. I’m a rookie but I play with wires on other stuff. I grabbed two of these for a different project but I’ve decided to not use them on a larger wine cooler. Might steal the fans from them but that’s not helping the current topic

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Could also be the fan on the back of the thermo cooler. Without knowing the wire schematics and taking the thing apart and checking everything you’re sorta guessing. If under warranty I’d send it back. If not I’d unplug and just use it without power. I know they look better when they’re on but again in my opinion they hold stable humidity better unplugged. Similar to a pretty cooler

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jake for the very quick response! Been on the phone with NewAir, they are sending a new control unit and a replacement humidor (2 months out). But thinking about, not sure I even want the heat function.

Any thoughts on the cigars? Ruined?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If I had to take a wild guess assuming your unit does not have a heater. Light is likely led which isn’t going to run hot. It’s likely the fan on the back of thermo cooler. On those units one side gets hot like really hot. The other side gets cold. Like very cold. If the fan stops the whole thing would likely get hot

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks Jake for the very quick response! Been on the phone with NewAir, they are sending a new control unit and a replacement humidor (2 months out). But thinking about, not sure I even want the heat function.

Nah I’d take em out spread them out to cool them off and toss them back in. I’ve left cigars in the truck for a week in summer and they smoked just the same as When I put them in there.

nah I’m lying just send them to me lol

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

I will say I like the costumer service on that If the new control unit doesn’t fix it I’d just leave it unplugged and have a second humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew! Thought I'd lost 'em. Gladly send you a few for responding so fast and keeping me off the ledge!
Well, when they told me they could send the part but I had to pay for shipping AND that there were no instructions, only a picture or 2, I lost it a bit and said they should be sending a whole new replacement (not really expecting it). Was put on a brief hold and then said they would do that.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Phew! Thought I'd lost 'em. Gladly send you a few for responding so fast and keeping me off the ledge!
Well, when they told me they could send the part but I had to pay for shipping AND that there were no instructions, only a picture or 2, I lost it a bit and said they should be sending a whole new replacement (not really expecting it). Was put on a brief hold and then said they would do that.
Ha ha no thanks on the cigars. Appreciate the offer. As much as those things cost I agree they should send a whole unit. Good on you for speaking up. Thank you for the offer!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, tried not to take it out on the poor customer service person, but was definitely a little hot.
Thanks again. That offer doesn't expire!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Never heard of that happening before but if the heater got stuck that's about the worse thing that could happen. If you don't trust it INK BIRD makes a controller that can shut the unit down if it gets above a setable temperature and then back on when temps stabilize

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Never heard of that happening before but if the heater got stuck that's about the worse thing that could happen. If you don't trust it INK BIRD makes a controller that can shut the unit down if it gets above a setable temperature and then back on when temps stabilize
Inkbird makes some nice stuff I was gonna use one of their controllers on the build I was working on. If I decide later it needs to cool I’ll use one with those units I posted earlier

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've thought there would have been some sort of cutoff on it...will look into the Ink Bird, but thinking that I will forego the heat option..although not sure if all NewAir units are cool and heat these days.

Thanks for the tip!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If the unit is equiped with a heater I'm sure there is a cut off that failed. If it's simply a cooler it would be interesting to know how the cooling unit failed and got that hot but obviously it's possible.

Just FYI I put small heaters in my Fridgeadors when I kept them in the garage but now that they'are in the house a heater isn't required. Remember, if temperature drops are gradual cigars can handle the cold

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the unit is equiped with a heater I'm sure there is a cut off that failed. If it's simply a cooler it would be interesting to know how the cooling unit failed and got that hot but obviously it's possible.

Just FYI I put small heaters in my Fridgeadors when I kept them in the garage but now that they'are in the house a heater isn't required. Remember, if temperature drops are gradual cigars can handle the cold
Yeah when I first started, was obsessed with keeping a constant steady temp, but the humidor is in the bedroom and no reason for the heat function-gotta figure at some point it will fail. They are sending me a heat/cool replacement but think I will call them again and ask for just the cool.

Thank you for your post, Boudie

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If you need both heating and cooling, I'd recommend cooling only on the humidor, and then using something like an aquarium heater. Plug both into an electronic temp controller, which will cut and/or supply power to either the heater or the cooler, as needed.

I unplugged my two units years ago, and just keep them at ambient house temps, which eliminated all the problems.

Last edited: