What's new

Help picking humidification

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just ordered a new humidor! Needed a little more room than what I had before. Pulled this one up and really liked it.

Am trying to decide on what I want to use for long term humidification. I have a couple boveda packs I can use to season it but I'm used to the roof stick on style devices and just realized that won't work due to the glass roof.

What y'all recommend?! Was thinking one of the medium heartfelt tubes. It is probably Overkill but since it's the same diameter of the smaller one just the added length to make it a more normal stick length I figured why not.

What y'all think?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is almost the exact set up I currently run with same Heartfelt bead tube
But a lot of folks here swear by Boveda packs.
I MIGHT switch to some forum of cooler or Tupperware I've even considered making a "tactical"humidor out of a small Pelican case
The only trouble I've had with my set up was keeping the humidity up when the RH is in the low 20% in the house this winter.( we heat with wood)but now it has stabilized when the RH in the house is in the 30s or so.

image.jpeg

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You can just lay boveda right on the sticks on bottom and just keep sticks on the top tray for display purposes.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I used to use the foam included with the humidor, but now, I use and recommend Boveda packs. So many options in the humidity variations, you really can't go wrong. Oh, and you can recharge them too once they dry up. I still need to sit down and figure that out since I'm an idiot and have little to no patience to sit down, take my time and read up on it. I know it's easy but again, no patience LOL.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I used to use Heartfelt tubes myself too. The down side is the only way to easily rehydrate them is to pour water into one end of the tube. Rehydrating that way cracks the beads and over time you end up with bead dust in the humi. It’s not a problem, just a pain. If you are going to use beads I’d suggest some type of small Tupperware or other solid bottom type of something with a lid so you can spray water on the beads as recommended so they don’t crack and get junk all in your humi....or buy a 4pk of Boveda and just cycle them. Personally I find that solution easier for desktop humis and beads easier for larger cooler type setups.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used to use the foam included with the humidor, but now, I use and recommend Boveda packs. So many options in the humidity variations, you really can't go wrong. Oh, and you can recharge them too once they dry up. I still need to sit down and figure that out since I'm an idiot and have little to no patience to sit down, take my time and read up on it. I know it's easy but again, no patience LOL.
Crib notes for you

Place saucer of distilled water in sealable container, place boveda in same sealable container place in sunny window until charged!

We're running 85%+ humidity down here so I just place mine outside for a couple of days

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Crib notes for you

Place saucer of distilled water in sealable container, place boveda in same sealable container place in sunny window until charged!

We're running 85%+ humidity down here so I just place mine outside for a couple of days
I read somewhere they have to be separate from the water too correct?? I swore I saw pictures somewhere of someone who drowned the bovedas in the distilled water and called them "recharged."

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One of the members of the forum does that, I think it degrades the paper wrapping but just my opinion. I will slightly dampen them with a mister to speed up the process but I now have enough Bovedas that I can be patient during recharge. I cycle maybe a third of my packs at a time through the recharge process.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
One of the members of the forum does that, I think it degrades the paper wrapping but just my opinion. I will slightly dampen them with a mister to speed up the process but I now have enough Bovedas that I can be patient during recharge. I cycle maybe a third of my packs at a time through the recharge process.
I wasn't sure if it was here or on another social media platform. I have to get the time and patience to sit down and make something up to get these packs recharged.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some time and watch the Boveda channel on YouTube. Here are a few to begin the process of learning about humidification.

What is Boveda and how do they work?:

Can you over humidify with Boveda?:

Boveda vs Beads and Gels, What’s best for your Humidor?:

Good or bad? The wipe down method of seasoning a humidor:

After seasoning a humidor, what should the RH be in the humidor?:

What size Boveda is right for you?:
[url]https://youtu.be/2mb2Oggo3wE[/URL]

What is the Boveda Butler?
https://youtu.be/SoDC4rzdQNU[

How to calibrate your Boveda Butler:
https://youtu.be/bgqys1Tr86Y

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Nice humidor, @stx.dead.I Here's some common mistakes I have seen .. and just want to be sure it's said here so you are aware ...

1- Definately go with Bodeva. Stories of those glass-top seals "leaking" are plentiful, and the Bodeva will maintain it better. Personally, I've had two of these and they did not leak at all.
2- As soon as you get the unit, knock out the hygrometer and calibrate it with the salt water test. ( Can tell you about that if you don't know ) Once it's calibrated the hygrometer will be fine, but plan to update it in the future.
3- Many people get the humidor and "season" the insides down with distilled water and a rag. Then post horror stories of 90% RH. Don't be that guy. Use your calibrated hygrometer and see what the RH of the thing is first, before you drown it.
4- Make sure humidor is steady RH a few days before adding your sticks, because it will fluctuate when you populate the box. If the vacant box needs seasoning, use a shot glass with distilled water.
5- I've helped with enough recoveries to tell you there have been cases of mold using those sponge "hockey pucks" for humidification, ... but none where the source was from the Bodeva. Glad you have update that already.

Guys buy these things, robotic-ally go and "season" them when they didn't need it in the first place, throw their sticks in when they have never verified what the RH environment even is, using an calibrated hygrometer. And just snowball into a big mess.
Arm yourself with this knowledge and you'll have a good experience and enjoy your humidor like I enjoyed mine. If you need help, we are all here.

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
3- Many people get the humidor and "season" the insides down with distilled water and a rag. Then post horror stories of 90% RH. Don't be that guy. Use your calibrated hygrometer and see what the RH of the thing is first, before you drown it.
I agree, but unless it's holding at 70% straight out of the box it WILL need seasoned. I don't recommend wiping it down though. I've always used a new, clean sponge that's good and wet (not dripping) set on a ziplock back sealed inside an empty humidor for a couple days, or until the RH holds at 70 to 75. That way the cedar has the proper moisture content and won't suck the moisture from your humidifiers (and cigars).

I've had really good luck with HF beads and don't use anything else anymore, but boveda is a great product and works well too.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I agree, but unless it's holding at 70% straight out of the box it WILL need seasoned. I don't recommend wiping it down though. I've always used a new, clean sponge that's good and wet (not dripping) set on a ziplock back sealed inside an empty humidor for a couple days, or until the RH holds at 70 to 75. That way the cedar has the proper moisture content and won't suck the moisture from your humidifiers (and cigars).

I've had really good luck with HF beads and don't use anything else anymore, but boveda is a great product and works well too.
Yep. We're on the same page here. Just too many guys automatically season it before seeing "where it's at" before starting. And yeah, wiping down those units is a no-no. The micro-thin veneer of cedar can split and the adhesive breeds mold.
I have two 4oz HCF bead "cans" and a random bag of Bodeva on a tray or two.

Anybody from the old P\/ff days has got to remember all the threads about those desktops. Just a couple things to do correctly, right out of the gate, and everything's fine.
I had a real good run of my CI desktop humidors before I passed them down and moved to Winador.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep. We're on the same page here. Just too many guys automatically season it before seeing "where it's at" before starting. And yeah, wiping down those units is a no-no. The micro-thin veneer of cedar can split and the adhesive breeds mold.
I have two 4oz HCF bead "cans" and a random bag of Bodeva on a tray or two.

Anybody from the old P\/ff days has got to remember all the threads about those desktops. Just a couple things to do correctly, right out of the gate, and everything's fine.
I had a real good run of my CI desktop humidors before I passed them down and moved to Winador.
Crazy, but my humidor was 75% plus when I first broke it out. I put several full 69% bovedas and the HF beads in there for a few days and it was way high. I took out several of the bovedas just have two small ones and the HF tube and filled it up with about 25 cigars and now it's sitting nicely at 68%

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk