What's new

Help removing old humidification

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
When I got this humidor about 5 or 6 years ago, I stuck the puck-like humidifier on but I quickly discarded it for the rectangle one that I rigged up full of beads... I was wondering if anybody had any success being able to remove the tape stuck to the glass. It's been stuck on there pretty good for a couple years now. I don't want to try any solvents for fear of getting chemicals mixed in with my sticks. I have a tupperdor that works absolutely fine for the rest of my sticks so I might just get another one of those and retire this guy. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Razor and 91% alcohol or even clear spirits and clean spirits up with water? Just guessing
....... pretty much the same place I'm at with this.

You should first plan a tupperdor at the right RH to store your smokes. Because the smart way is to remove this sticker from an empty box.
You can flip it over, and soak the level sticker in alcohol. Break it down, then aerate when done.

Of course, the sticker could just peel off. But I've never had such luck....

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I know you mentioned no solvents or cleaners BUT the only thing that I have coming to mind would be goo-gone. But then your cigars might taste like that orange smell it gives off when you use it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How 'bout some heat and a bit of patience? I would try a hair dryer or heat gun on a fairly low setting and see it you can move it that way. If the only resort is chemicals, naptha works pretty good and evaporates well. As long as it's just the glass, I don't really think any chemicals will be sticking around long, they can't soak in. Just keep it empty/open till the smell of whatever you use is gone.

On second thought, none of this is a good idea. Find another sticker you like and use if to cover the unsightly glue scab from the top. Live and learn...

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I'm in the rubbing alcohol and razor blade camp. You should be able to get most of the sticker bulk and glue residue off the glass with a razor blade. Use a sharp new one and scrape perpendicular to the glass to avoid scratching. To get rid of whatever residue is left just take a paper towel, dampen it with rubbing alcohol and you should be able to remove the rest of the glue. Rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly and will not leave any residue or smell.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Well I gave it the old college try... New razor blade didn't do much. No harm no foul though. It serves it's purpose and holds humidit for now. I'm gonna take the advice from @deadrift and use a sticker over the top of it and live and learn... I'll probably sticker off 90% of the top and leave a small piece of open glass where I'll be able to read my hygrometer. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yep, razor then alcohol for any left over residue. If that sticker survives that, it's earned it's place.

Or...... get a marker and draw a picture on it.

Edit: Looks like you posted as I did, and I see my first suggestion failed.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
When I got this humidor about 5 or 6 years ago, I stuck the puck-like humidifier on but I quickly discarded it for the rectangle one that I rigged up full of beads... I was wondering if anybody had any success being able to remove the tape stuck to the glass. It's been stuck on there pretty good for a couple years now. I don't want to try any solvents for fear of getting chemicals mixed in with my sticks. I have a tupperdor that works absolutely fine for the rest of my sticks so I might just get another one of those and retire this guy. Any thoughts?

You're going to need a bigger boat

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Haha! I have a little bit of room, I've got a cooler that was terrible for being a cooler but is great for holding some Tupperwares where I keep the rest of em. Hard to let go of my first humidor though. Sentimental value - one of my friends got it for me for being in his wedding... he spelled my name wrong, it's been a running joke since!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is now over a year old......but you could try olive oil and the blade herfdog has.

That's me.....a day late and a dollar short.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk