What's new

Help The battle is real - Ash smell (Home Office)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pandemic is upon causing longer work at home hours.
I thought it would be nice to smoke a cigar here in there in my home office. It's Not a big room like 10x11 feet, 8-foot ceilings.

I purchased a Rappidair MinusA2, thinking it would solve my problem. I will say it does a great job eliminating the smoke and other things in the air.
But leave the smell of ash behind.

This test was with one cigar for 1 hour 24hrs ago, and the smell is still lingering.

I haven't tried a lot, but I did try some scented oil I had lying around, which made it smell better, but the Rabbitair seemed to clean the oil out of the air, and the ash smell was back.

My office is all computer gear, leather, and hardwood floors. no material

Any suggestions, tips, or things to try would be excellent.
I understand the best direction is recycling air, but it's way too hot out here and does not want to waste the air condition in a room that needs it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Febreze Extra Strength 2x and an ionizer occasionally. BTW I use a couple of box fans with smoke filters and carbon filters while smoking and about an hour after to remove the majority. The Febreze seems to help with lingering odors.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Boudie
Thanks for the feedback. I believe the rabbitair has an ionizer in it.
It does great removing the smoke and other smells even the oil. But the ash remains.

I have not tried Febreze.

I have heard of Lampe Berger.. I have ordered one of there lamp kids and should have it Friday to try.

I've been smoking for 20 years but never tried inside, I've always used it to relax in the yard but with the number of hours I'm working I don't get the chance anymore.

Any help or suggestions on what to try welcomed and appreciated.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The Febreze Xtra Strength 2X will probably do it for you. That and wiping down the furniture with a good cleanser, emptying the ash trays and garbage pails immediately after smoking.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
When I use to smoke in my house, pre marriage, I used Ozium spray and now they have Ozium pucks. It worked great! But pricey!

Spray

Pucks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Febreze Xtra Strength 2X will probably do it for you. That and wiping down the furniture with a good cleanser, emptying the ashtrays and garbage pails immediately after smoking.
Will try and pick up some Febreze 2x..
Should I be wiping down my furniture even though it's leather?
I'm using a small 2-inch tall glass wide mouth mason jar I put the lid on it when I'm done (and clean later before next smoke)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yup, The smoke and particles will settle onto your surfaces. Neat thing about leather and hard surfaces is they are easy to clean. They make some nice smelling leather treatments that will add to the smell of your room in my opinion.

All depends on how far you want to take it, right now what you are doing isn't punching the ticket for you so if you want the room smelling really fresh you may have to do a bit more then I would.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a small ozone generator and run it for a little while when you have a chance while you’re away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do these really work with cigar ash smell?
Can you suggest one?
You said while you are away. Are they not safe to run while you're in the room? (Fine can run when I go to bed)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I thought you you said you have an ionizer in your rabbitair. I believe ozone generator and ionizer are pretty much the same thing. You may have a setting on the rabbitair that runs the ionizer when you are not in the room.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you you said you have an ionizer in your rabbitair. I believe ozone generator and ionizer are pretty much the same thing. You may have a setting on the rabbitair that runs the ionizer when you are not in the room.
I honestly do not know the difference and or if there is one (please educate)

The rabbitair lists something in their menu "Negative Ions"

From their support, I asked them about it

"
is this the same thing as a Ozone generator?

Tamina
Negative Ions are odorless, tasteless, and invisible molecules that we inhale in abundance in certain environments. They are found near mountains, waterfalls, and beaches. Some research studies show negative ions help to alleviate depression and boost mental energy. They can also latch onto particles and help weigh them down.

is is the mashine
creating these ?
removing them ?
what is it actualy doing

Tamina
There is a Negative Ion Generator that releases the negative ions.
The Negative Ion Generator releases negative ions into your air. These molecules will latch on to airborne particles to make them heavy and fall to the floor so that you're not breathing them in.
Did you have any other questions that I can answer for you?
Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other questions.
"

Thoughts, suggestions ?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do they recommend running the ionizer when you leave the room? I was always under the impression that an ionizer and an ozone generator did the same thing, they advertise as having the same process. An ozone generator can be purchased in many sizes only caveat is you can not be in the room when running and the room should air out until you can no longer smell that fresh mountain air before re-entering. I have an ozone generator and seldom use it now that I do what I discussed with you earlier in the thread.

They are effective though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they recommend running the ionizer when you leave the room? I was always under the impression that an ionizer and an ozone generator did the same thing, they advertise as having the same process. An ozone generator can be purchased in many sizes only caveat is you can not be in the room when running and the room should air out until you can no longer smell that fresh mountain air before re-entering. I have an ozone generator and seldom use it now that I do what I discussed with you earlier in the thread.

They are effective though.
They have never told me to run it when not in the room I have it on all the time.
I really wonder if it's the same thing. since they call it "Negative IONS"

Here is a link to their site, if you don't mind letting me know what you think...

So you really have to vent the room after. So I'm kinda in the same place as losing AC at that point.

So at this point, it may be nice to have if I had company or a bigger smoke session. (would take it outside so don't see it really happening)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You don't want to run the ozone generator while in the room. Lots of info on that on the web. They recommend venting the room before entering but when I used mine I turned it on when I left the room in the evening and set the timer. In the morning the ozone had dissipated and I was able to re-enter. You run the ozone generator as long as you need it to generate the ions to capture the smells. Trial and Error. Guess all depends on your ventilation, how long you run it and how long it has to dissipate before re-entry.

They both work on the same principles but the Rabbitair may not generate the same amount of negative ions as the ozone generator.

If you vent your room in the morning you will lose AC but a 5 minute air out shouldn't be unrecoverable for the AC.

Febreeze advertises that it works the same way as an ionizer, a chemical "captures" the smell molecules and settles them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answering my own questions.

Informative infomation

The Rabbitair has Negative ions which are NOT the same thing as Ozone.

Found a good page here on it

Short version: They are very different. A negative ion is an oxygen atom with an extra electron. It is odorless. Ozone is an oxygen molecule consisting of three oxygen atoms. You can smell ozone if the concentration is high enough.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess the next question is do they both have the same effectiveness when it comes to removing odors? or does Rabbitair only use negative ions because you don't have to leave the room when in use. Apparently you're not happy with the Rabbitair t maybe you have to run it 24/7?

I spent $25 on a box fan, under $20 on filters and around $100 on an ozone generator so I made my decision based on cost. I change the filters about once a month during the summer when smoking inside everyday. I very seldom use the ozone generator, relying on the fans and an occasional spritz of Febreeze. I also give my office a good cleaning every week.

Glad you are doing the research.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob why I've never seen Ozone Generators around.

Seems you can NOT ship them to Califonia so can't buy any around here ;)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0