What's new

Help with 93 ranger 2.5 5 speed

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Bought this truck yesterday as a non running project. Turns over strong but won't fire. If you spray starter fluid or dump gas in the hose it'll run but won't stay running on its own. Has new timing belt, alternator, plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, and a new clutch. I pushed the inertia switch button down and tried starting it. It fired one single time but never did again after that. Got any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Have you checked fuel pressure?
And the coil pack, didn't see where you changed it. Simple and cheap since you did plugs and wires already.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Well, If you spray starter fluid or dump gas in the hose it'll run but won't stay running on its own... I'd focus on fuel system first.
If you unhook the fuel line in the engine compartment and turn on the ignition do you get fuel? If yes then look at the throttle body or injection system(no idea what a 93 ranger has). If no fuel in engine compartment, check the fuel pump fuse. If its good, I'd unhook the fuel line under the truck turn on the ignition. Fuel there? If no, Could be the new pump in bunk, wiring harness not full seated, fuel line not seated creating a leak that breaks the suction. If you have fuel there, Maybe a non stock fuel filter someone added somewhere that's plugged? Crushed hard fuel line between the pump and engine compartment?

Last edited:

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well, If you spray starter fluid or dump gas in the hose it'll run but won't stay running on its own... I'd focus on fuel system first.
If you unhook the fuel line in the engine compartment and turn on the ignition do you get fuel? If yes then look at the throttle body or injection system(no idea what a 93 ranger has). If no fuel in engine compartment, check the fuel pump fuse. If its good, I'd unhook the fuel line under the truck turn on the ignition. Fuel there? If no, Could be the new pump in bunk, wiring harness not full seated, fuel line not seated creating a leak that breaks the suction. If you have fuel there, Maybe a non stock fuel filter someone added somewhere that's plugged? Crushed hard fuel line between the pump and engine compartment?
+1

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Thanks for the lead guys. I'll probably start working on it tonight. Haven't had a chance to mess with anything since I picked it up besides the inertia switch

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I disconnected the fuel filter and turned the key on and it didn't spit any fuel out. So from what I've read and heard, it's probably the inertia switch. Or another bad fuel pump

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Also, apparently he did not put new plugs or an alternator on it. Not the issue, but still. Makes me wonder if he really did much to it.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I disconnected the fuel filter and turned the key on and it didn't spit any fuel out. So from what I've read and heard, it's probably the inertia switch. Or another bad fuel pump

Is the inertia switch tripping? I've personally never had one go bad so I'd find it to be odd that you replaced it and the new one is bad too. I have however bought several fuel pumps that were bunk right out of the box. Id try hooking direct power to the fuel pump to see if it works.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Is the inertia switch tripping? I've personally never had one go bad so I'd find it to be odd that you replaced it and the new one is bad too. I have however bought several fuel pumps that were bunk right out of the box. Id try hooking direct power to the fuel pump to see if it works.
From what my mechanic and the guy at the parts store says, the inertia switch is common to trip and not be able reset. I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea. How would I go about getting power directly to the fuel pump? I also have heard of getting bad pumps right out of the box as well. The guy claims he changed it twice...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Sounds like you know all this, but I'll bore you with it anyway- I went through this with my Ford Escape.
If the battery is good then get in the truck and put the key all the way forward without engaging starter. You should hear the "nnmmmmm" as the pump pressurizes the fuel rail.
If you don't hear that, check your fuses and remember you may have a relay involved as well. You could test the relay by relocating it into another test slot like DRL.
If you replace a blown fuse, and it still doesn't start, see if the fuse keeps blowing. You can also check the two poles on the pump. A countinuity test should not say "short,

Something interesting I found in a google search below -----
There is a wiring harness under truck for the fuel pump that rubs through from vibration then grounds out when uhit a bump and blows fuse, very common on those years,find the harness near the fuel pump and you will find it.

One more thing- with my Escape, the first time it failed, I was stuck in a parking lot. I knew I was not getting fuel so I lifted the back seat, and banged the top of the pump mount with a monkey wrench, and the truck started.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
From what my mechanic and the guy at the parts store says, the inertia switch is common to trip and not be able reset. I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea. How would I go about getting power directly to the fuel pump? I also have heard of getting bad pumps right out of the box as well. The guy claims he changed it twice...

Easiest way would be to bypass the inertia switch assuming your fuses are intact. could also hook up some gator clip wires to a 12 volt power source and the pump. Check a wiring diagram to make sure you have the polarity right if you do the clips. Anymore, I test all my fuel pumps before they get installed.
Did he replace the pump twice with the cheapest replacement pumps he could find or with quality name pumps?

Last edited:

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Easiest way would be to bypass the inertia switch assuming your fuses are intact. could also hook up some gator clip wires to a 12 volt power source and the pump. Check a wiring diagram to make sure you have the polarity right if you do the clips. Anymore, I test all my fuel pumps before they get installed.
Did he replace the pump twice with the cheapest replacement pumps he could find or with quality name pumps?
I'm not sure on that. Going by what he told me and what turned out to be actually true I don't think he changed it twice. I think he just got sick of working on it

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
We just had to replace the "sock" in the gas tank of a F350. The previous owner replaced the fuel pump, thinking the starving for fuel was because of it. Turned out there was a bunch of crud that was clogging the sock and starving the whole fuel system.

By sock I'm talking about the mesh filter for the pick up tube, before the pump.

Just a thought before you start throwing more pumps at it.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
So I got to tinkering today. (Haven't been able to check your guys other stiff yet need my father in law to help) but I discovered today that if I turn the key to on and wait and shut it off and do that again and then try to start it, it'll fire and almost start.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I didn't hear it. Although I have terrible hearing. But since it tried to start on its own I assume it's working.

I dropped the tank down and found this.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Looks like it's been rewired. Also looks wrong. The pink and black wires are not together. I switched them. And the results are the same as before. Tomorrow I'm grabbing a fuel filter. If that dies nothing then just buying a fuel pump

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Rewired it and put a fuel filter on. Didn't fix it. Put a new fuel pump on and it runs. Got a slight miss so I'm gonna have to do plugs and wires. And the brakes are really soft. Damn near gonna have as much money in it as it's worth