What's new

Help with humidor & rh

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi brothers
Needing some help with what to do here.. From the pic u can see my current humidor with a 69 boveda pack.. But readings will typically be 60-62.. Note dropping to 58-59..
The boveda pack feels ok.. A little bit grainy on the edges but ok..
Should I be worried? Or should i Replace the digital hygrometer?
Not sure what else I should try?
Thanks brothers

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you season the humidor before you put sticks into it? If so. Maybe the seal is great and you may just try adding another boveda pack with your other one and seeing if that helps any... Did you calibrate your digital hygro? May be reading wrong also. Just my .2

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
How are the cigars smoking?

If they're ok, don't worry about it. Add another boveda if you like.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Ask @sofc he is the neighborhood expert when it Comes to rh. I have the same question as npeters7 how lo g did you season what method did you use
I put cigars in the humi.

It's like the stock market. I'm in it for the long haul, I don't stress if it goes down short term. It will work itself out. (Not a perfect analogy but it works)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Throw the hygrometer in a ziplock freezer bag with the boveda. Note what the hygro is reading. If it's reading 69%, I'd say the seal on the humidor isn't good. If its reading lower, then it's off. No big deal if its "off" once you know by how much.

Make sense?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The more cigars you have in there, the more consistent it will read too. The packs won't have to work as hard as there's less air to de/humidify. And you'll have more options...win/win! :)

But if you're really concerned & like them closer to 69, just throw another boveda in there.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I'm going to agree with others that either the seal is not great or the hydrometer is not accurate, with that much variance. The third option is the humi has not seasoned yet cause it's new.
If this is a new set up. Then just give it time for the wood to come into balance. To check the seal turn you phone to flashlight mode and toss in they're while in a dark room. If you see any light. The seal is not, well sealing. If the seal is good and the set up used to be holding a Higher RH. Test the hydrometer by tossing it in an airtight container with the Boveda. The only thing for sure is that the boveda is done by its job.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would use more packs. Open the humi and lay a strip of paper on the seal and closes it. Pull the strip. If you don't have resistance, it's not sealing. Check all the way around. If needed, you can add a strip of paper tape around the edge to make the seal tighter. If the Boveda is getting grainy, I would replace/recharge it. YMMV

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is all great advice you're getting.
To summarize;
Check the hydro by putting it is a zip lock with the Boveda
Re-season the humi
Check the seal on the lid with the paper test
Add a second Boveda

What is the RH outside the humi? Are you in a very dry environment? If so, then you will defiantly need more Boveda's, or move to KL and you can put in a whole bunch.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
This is all great advice you're getting.
To summarize;
Check the hydro by putting it is a zip lock with the Boveda
Re-season the humi
Check the seal on the lid with the paper test
Add a second Boveda

What is the RH outside the humi? Are you in a very dry environment? If so, then you will defiantly need more Boveda's, or move to KL and you can put in a whole bunch.
You missed the light test

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks gents. It was a humi I picked up locally from another BOTL.. Going to try that zip lock bag trick and give an update.
Cheers!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The hygrometer read 67 in the bag after an hour or so.. So with a small adjustment it reads 68-69..

So I'm guessing I have a humidor which either needs re seasoning or is leaky

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The hygrometer read 67 in the bag after an hour or so.. So with a small adjustment it reads 68-69..

So I'm guessing I have a humidor which either needs re seasoning or is leaky

I have a similar humidor on my desk in the office. Was what I was using till just last week. I have been having the exact same issue. Feel like its just winter, the furnace drying everything out. I put 2 more 65% boveda in it (Total of 4 now) and its at around 64 which doesn't bother me. If you keep having issues grab some Tupperware or even a large ziplock back and use that instead with the boveda.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cheers mate.. I think I'm just gonna chuck in another boveda.. I don't mind small amount of leakage so they can breathe..

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a bit late to the discussion but my humi has a different reading every time I open it. One day it'll be at 64 the next it'll say 74. Any ideas? Should I try seasoning it again?