What's new

Hey newbies! Interested in a Virtual Herf?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How about getting a bunch of newbs and a bunch of the experienced guys together to smoke some cigars? I can't blow my cigar budget on plane tickets so maybe be can do it on the forum?

Been talking with a couple of board members and we're thinking we should keep the cigar selection in newb mode i.e. inexpensive and available through site sponsors or locally. We would select a cigar and set a date far enough in the future that everyone that wants to participate can find the cigar and rest it a little while, maybe a 3 week lead time.

Nothing is set yet so I am asking if anyone is interested in doing this and for your suggestions. The only thing I ask is to remember that this is to help us new smokers learn how to enjoy the different flavors we can tease out of a cigar so lets keep it civil and fun.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Interesting idea Boudie. I would call it a "Vherf Cigar Review" as you want to focus on everyone smoke the same cigar. Agree with Jon if you want to do just a newbie vherf I think most people will bring what they have. While I only have participated in a couple, to me vherfs have been a spur of the moment type thing and people join and leave as time permits. I think if you set up a cigar specific review vherf well in advance you may get some people that can set that amount of time aside.

Goodluck and would be glad to join if time permits.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
How about getting a bunch of newbs and a bunch of the experienced guys together to smoke some cigars? I can't blow my cigar budget on plane tickets so maybe be can do it on the forum?

Been talking with a couple of board members and we're thinking we should keep the cigar selection in newb mode i.e. inexpensive and available through site sponsors or locally. We would select a cigar and set a date far enough in the future that everyone that wants to participate can find the cigar and rest it a little while, maybe a 3 week lead time.

Nothing is set yet so I am asking if anyone is interested in doing this and for your suggestions. The only thing I ask is to remember that this is to help us new smokers learn how to enjoy the different flavors we can tease out of a cigar so lets keep it civil and fun.
Are you talking about everyone smoking the same cigar?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All great comments and thanks for sharing them. I believe the purpose would be to taste a specific cigar so we can find the same flavors

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Newbies can try to find the same or similar flavors as the experienced guys
I think you should try this as I'm sure some would be interested.

But just for your information, experienced guys do not always find similar flavors in the same cigar.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Agreed SofC but as a newb if I have three experienced guys say "this cigar is loaded with Cocoa" you can bet I'll equate the flavor I'm experiencing with cocoa. Or if the same guys say "this is a medium bodied cigar with a long finish" I'll walk away learning something.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Agreed SofC but as a newb if I have three experienced guys say "this cigar is loaded with Cocoa" you can bet I'll equate the flavor I'm experiencing with cocoa. Or if the same guys say "this is a medium bodied cigar with a long finish" I'll walk away learning something.
Yes, but that's assuming that they're all getting the same flavor (and that it's objective) and that you feel the need to find the same flavor from the cigar. I'm just saying that there are many people who just smoke the cigars (like me) who have smoked for decades and don't get those "flavors" from cigars.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm hoping we'll hear from some new smokers in the next day or two and we can decide how to procede.

I'm always good for a vritual herf in chat where we smoke what we have and just "shoot the breeze".

As far as a tasting thread on the forum if the interest is there we need recommendations on good starter cigars and times. Would Sunday evenings work for most people interested in doing this? I am not qualified to select the cigars we should smoke, all I have heard is reasonable cost and easily available. Do we do something like a nic puro or a triple ligero? Medium, medium full or full?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'm hoping we'll hear from some new smokers in the next day or two and we can decide how to procede.

I'm always good for a vritual herf in chat where we smoke what we have and just "shoot the breeze".

As far as a tasting thread on the forum if the interest is there we need recommendations on good starter cigars and times. Would Sunday evenings work for most people interested in doing this? I am not qualified to select the cigars we should smoke, all I have heard is reasonable cost and easily available. Do we do something like a nic puro or a triple ligero? Medium, medium full or full?
FYI, there are vherfs in chat several times during the week. (just for the shoot the breeze one)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good you mentioned that. I bet a lot of new members are either not aware of vherfs in chat or are reluctant to jump in.