What's new

Hi, Brothers of The Leaf

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all Brothers,
I'm Leo from Dominican Republic

Just starting to learn about Cigars, I'm a Bartender working in a Cigar Lounge/Bar in Dubai
with a lot of Cubans Cigars, I'm in charge of taking care of them (I pushed my manager to buy Arturo Fuente Cigars too)
and now interested in learning more about this beautiful world of the leaf, buying books, videos and more.

My Tolerance to tobacco still low, starting slowly, my first Cigar was a Montecristo #2 and knocked me out for 2 hours
so, I am starting slowly now (never smoked anything in my life)

I'm tasting the waters with Mini cigars, mild cigars and "cigarrillos" like montecristo cigarrillos and now Partagas cigarrillos

*Because my country is a great producer of Cigars, I'm planning to get full time in the business side of this industry
soon. I have friend's families that are farmers and friends in Honduras too.... let's see...
for now, my first step is to learn smoke and the "ritual" of a good cigar, to enjoy.

hope to learn and share knowledge from you here in this forum
Cheers!

Leo

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Leo, welcome to the hobby. My suggestions if you are new to cigars

Be sure to have food in your stomach before smoking
Drink water or tea with your cigar while learning how to find the flavors of a cigar
If you get light headed while smoking (probably a nicotine rush) have a bit of sugar. Sugar will raise you blood sugar and reduce the light headedness.
Smoke slow and enjoy. It goes without saying to not inhale but learn how to retrohale.
If you tend bar where cigars are sold you can make a lot of money suggesting good liquor/cigar pairings

Welcome, if you have any questions just ask I'm sure one of the brothers will be able to help out

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Welcome Leo.
There's a lot of information and knowledgeable brothers of the Leaf here.
Take a look around, read the BOTL pre study guide, and feel free to ask questions.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Welcome to BOTL @LeoBartender :giggle:

The biggest thing to remember as a new cigar smoker is to be sure you do not inhale. This will cause problems for you and make you sick as you described. Bring the smoke into your mouth and taste it but do not draw it into your lungs. Think of it as taking a drink of water and then slowly blowing it out. Eventually you can learn to blow the smoke out your nose as well (called retrohaling) which will bring another level of taste to the experience.

Best wishes for an enjoyable cigar journey!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drink water or tea with your cigar while learning how to find the flavors of a cigar
If you get light headed while smoking (probably a nicotine rush) have a bit of sugar. Sugar will raise you blood sugar and reduce the light headedness.
Smoke slow and enjoy. It goes without saying to not inhale but learn how to retrohale.
If you tend bar where cigars are sold you can make a lot of money suggesting good liquor/cigar pairings

Welcome, if you have any questions just ask I'm sure one of the brothers will be able to help out
Thanks a lot Boudie!
this trick (sugar) help me a lot,
I just finished smoking and ate some raisins, great result, eased the nicotine rush,

thank you thank you guys! great tips!

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0

Great info Boudie. Just to add a couple things.

A slice of bread can help as well as it will fill your stomach quickly.

Sugar will also “clean” your taste buds and help you get a fresh taste of your cigar. I’ve got a buddy that always keeps Smarties with him for these two reasons!!!

Generally speaking, lighter colored wrapper, lower bodied (less nicotine) cigar. So a La Gloria Cubana, Vegueros or some lighter colored Dominican cigars may be another way to start.

As you start what you enjoy will change a lot. It’s natural as your taste buds, and body, learn about this hobby. It probably took me a couple/few hundred cigars until my taste profile settled into something consistent. Now my changes in preference are more subtle and slow.

Never forget, the greatest thing about this passion is community. Those that are successful in the business know it, and those that stick around the hobby know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info Boudie. Just to add a couple things.

A slice of bread can help as well as it will fill your stomach quickly.

Sugar will also “clean” your taste buds and help you get a fresh taste of your cigar. I’ve got a buddy that always keeps Smarties with him for these two reasons!!!

Generally speaking, lighter colored wrapper, lower bodied (less nicotine) cigar. So a La Gloria Cubana, Vegueros or some lighter colored Dominican cigars may be another way to start.

As you start what you enjoy will change a lot. It’s natural as your taste buds, and body, learn about this hobby. It probably took me a couple/few hundred cigars until my taste profile settled into something consistent. Now my changes in preference are more subtle and slow.

Never forget, the greatest thing about this passion is community. Those that are successful in the business know it, and those that stick around the hobby know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, is true, community is the most important

cheers!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from New Jersey !!! Revisit that Monty #2 at a later date, with all the advice provided from these Brother's. I will commended that choice made to sample the "golden standard". When the Monty #2 has all the attributes of that blend. There is no comparison. It is one Vitola that is the "Very Finest" !!! One of my personal favorite blends. Enjoy !!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from New Jersey !!! Revisit that Monty #2 at a later date, with all the advice provided from these Brother's. I will commended that choice made to sample the "golden standard". When the Monty #2 has all the attributes of that blend. There is no comparison. It is one Vitola that is the "Very Finest" !!! One of my personal favorite blends. Enjoy !!!
thanks! Cigar Czar!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Welcome Leo. I know there is a lot of money in Dubai. So I would imagine your employer stocks expensive cigars. What is the most expensive cigar you sell at your lounge? (I am just a curious dude who knows nothing about Cuban cigars).