What's new

Holy Squishiness Batman!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow. Checked on a box of sticks in the Wine Coolerdor today to find them very, very wet. I had transfered all the longer smokes into one DB and buried it as those are the smokes I get to the least. Was checking out a bunch of different boxes today and opened this one to find all of the smokes quite "Squishy" (very, very springy). No idea how this happened. It's a dress box, doesn't close all THAT tight and it's right in the middle of the Fridge. Nothing else was that wet...:dunno:

Opened the box up and will leave it that way for a bit to see what happens. I have another lb of beads on the way so hopefully that'll help as well.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Ok, I originally wrote a different post but than re-read yours, and noticed it was an assortment box with this problem and not a full box of the same sticks. So here's my best estimation based upon other things I've read about your storage situation.
What I would guess is that this box has been effected like this BECAUSE it was in the center of your wine cooler. As you know, one of the side-effects of a typical fridge cooling unit is the fact that moisture is drawn out of the air inside of the contained space. Since this box was in the middle, there's a possibility it was exposed to more humidity due to the fact that the beads have to work overtime everytime the air is "dried" out. Since that center box never become dried by the cold air, it only gets humidified, and that's why it's so spongy.

Here's another way of explaining the same thing:

The compressor cools and dries the air and lets say it runs for only 1/4th the time.
The boxes on the perimeter are exposed to this cool, dry air and lowers the tobaccos relative humidity in those boxes.
The beads release their humidity and thus re-humidify the perimiter smokes and OVER humidify the interior smokes since this re-humidification process takes 3x the time of the de-humidificaiton process.
If that cooling span was as long as the humidification span, all boxes would be closer to the same RH, but since it is not and the exposure to water is much longer than it's opposite, center areas that are not reached during the refrigeration period are not brought back down to the desired level, thus spongy, wet cigars.

Was that redundant enough to be confusing? Hope you got at least a little of that J!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sounds fair enough to me Craig! We'll have to see. To answer Tom, no, which is the weird thing about this whole set up. I have two trays (think tupperware) with beads spread out in them on different levels. The beads are MOSTLY WHITE and yet my humidity is running at 68-70 on the high end (which with a fridge-ador tends to be the steadiest humidity from what I'm seeing). It's a little weird as I really don't have enough beads in there according to the size of the fridge. So what I'm hoping is when I have the correct number of beads in there that they will pull enough humidity out to stabilize it at 65 instead of the higher 70% it's at now. The whole set up's been kind of whacky to be honest...but I'm blaming that on not having nearly enough smokes in there...:devil:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Oh yeah, Brian, yes, as far as I can tell all the hygro's are still running right where they should be...though I haven't tested in a few months...gotta get some Boveda packs.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Well you're definitely going in the right direction. Now buy some cigars and fill that thing up!