What's new

Home Baristi

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
That's a nice purchase Daniel! I really, really need a new coffee maker, but I am stuck in my decision between a high quality drip or a superautomatic. A lot of guys here have posted their purchases, but it only has prolonged my indecision.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Barista is the generally used term (Italian) for the espresso bartender. I've seen both baristi and baristas used as the plural. A home barista is generally someone with OCD related to espresso.

I've been into coffee pretty heavy for a year now and picked up a Prosumer (high end home) espresso machine in December. Luckily Joane is as addicted to her daily cappuccino as I am my daily double shot and she got over the initial loss of counter space and $ quickly. :wifey: :bickering :kissforeh :facerub: :kiss: :hearteyes :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Barista would be a stretch for me.
I have a La Pavoni Europicolla lever machine. I've spent countless hours trying to divine the mysteries of the proper grind, tamp and pressure required to pull a Godshot out of the infernal machine. The truth is I think I pull better shots than the local coffee shops but with this machine it's hard to get two or three decent shots in a row before the grouphead overheats.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Moglman said:
That's a nice purchase Daniel! I really, really need a new coffee maker, but I am stuck in my decision between a high quality drip or a superautomatic. A lot of guys here have posted their purchases, but it only has prolonged my indecision.

Thanks, I spent several months in analysis paralysis until I finally settled on the Pulsar. You said high end drip or superauto. One of the things I found when I was researching is that the superautos do a pretty good job, but you give up a certain amount of highest quality espresso for the convenience. Mostly because you “tinkering” ability is taken away. As far as high end drips, I think Kevin got the Capresso drip (M300 ?) with the insulated carafe and it gets pretty high marks.

windowrx said:
I have a La Pavoni Europicolla lever machine. I've spent countless hours trying to divine the mysteries of the proper grind, tamp and pressure required to pull a Godshot out of the infernal machine. The truth is I think I pull better shots than the local coffee shops but with this machine it's hard to get two or three decent shots in a row before the grouphead overheats.

I use the term very loosely as a description for myself. I need some guidance using my naked portafilter. I get quite a bit of spray from jets and my tamp isn’t as consistent as it should be. My grind stays pretty much the same (I sprung for a Macap M4), but until I get my tamp down, I don’t want to mess with it too much.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
windowrx said:

Oh, and BTW. Great machine! :thumbsup: I would say that just having that on your counter puts you closer to the "barista" level than myself! They just plain intimidate me. :eyequiver

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just got a Silvia/Rocky setup and I'm just getting the hang of it all.

Not exactly a barista but I'm getting there.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really need to bring my home espresso machine home. Got a gaggia for Christmas so I can practice for the Barista competitions. As a pro barista myself, I gotta say that I have nothing but respect for all the people who do it at home. Up at the shop I have everything I need to do all the latte art and tinkering that I want. You guys have to do it the hard way. We had a barista jam back in December and I saw what the home guys can do. . . just nuts! Oh, congrats on all the cool machines guys! I really liked the Silvia/Rocky setup that I played with, haven't tried the Pulsar yet I'll have to do that soon.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At starbucks and the woman in front of me says, "I'll take a super double mocha rocko latte with a dip of fluffed spiral moose pressed elephant vanilla cream on top with half infused cashew nut flavor. Oh...and 2 sugars please."

I step up and ask for a black coffee. She was so relieved she nearly fainted. She thanked me and said I was awesome. Guess in a college town they don't get many easy drinks.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I get that kinda stuff a lot, I think on most of them it's harder to say than it actually is to make. I do appreciate the people who order just regular coffee though. . . makes my job the easiest ever.