What's new

Home Brewing. Tips, Tricks, Recipes?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
After intending to for decades, finding a deal on a big starter kit on marketplace was the kick in the ass I needed to get me started homebrewing back in February.

Only have about a half dozen brews under my belt so far, but it’s been fun. Much like reloading, it’s not saving me any money, but it’s a fun hobby and the fresh beer can be amazing.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You know with all the programs on TV and blogs and U Tubes I'm pretty sure I could become a master distiller, wine maker, brewer. I mean it's simple, biggest problem would be building the barrels and the warehouse to store them in.

I've looked at homebrewing and considered buying a kit and all the premix stuff for brewing. But like @BloodWood I believe I like watching others do it more then trying to do it myself!

Please post picks

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
After intending to for decades, finding a deal on a big starter kit on marketplace was the kick in the ass I needed to get me started homebrewing back in February.

Only have about a half dozen brews under my belt so far, but it’s been fun. Much like reloading, it’s not saving me any money, but it’s a fun hobby and the fresh beer can be amazing.
What kinds of brews have you made so far?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What kinds of brews have you made so far?
My first 2 were extract kits, an amber and a brown. They were both amazing at first, but using a bottling bucket introduced too much oxygen so after a couple months they got unpleasant off flavors.

Did a Sierra Nevada clone that I moved the hop schedule to later in the boil, to give more flavor and less bitterness. It was amazing.

did a kolsch kit and added some citra hops, was pretty good, but the k97 yeast kinda gave it a weird fruity flavor. Even though it was the first batch I had some temperature control for fermentation.

tried to make my first all grain batch an amber, but was short a particular grain, so it became a British blonde. Was pretty great!

Finally started kegging, make life so much easier than bottling it all. Last was a hazy ipa that was good, but the phantasm powder wasn’t really worthwhile.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Finally started kegging, make life so much easier than bottling it all.
It’s all uphill from there. When I started kegging some years back, it changed my whole system for the better.

Stainless is the way to go, after cutting your teeth on the starter kits. I used buckets, and then a plastic carboy, for over a decade. Moved to stainless steel fermenters, and pump/hoses for transfer, and all has gone better, much more sanitary, considering the scratches that WILL accumulate in plastic and WILL eventually harbor bacteria you can’t get out.

I love the SS Brewtech stuff. I have a Chronical and a Chronical 2.0, both 7 gallons. Also, don’t know if you’ve ever seen it, but Brewer’s Edge makes a product called the Mash and Boil. Fantastic! It’s about $300 for the version without a pump, and I’d recommend getting a different pump anyway, Riptide pump is what I’ve got.

Anyways…. It’s all fun and you should do what makes you happy. I love talking about the process and the products that make it easier. Love to chat sometime!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It’s all uphill from there. When I started kegging some years back, it changed my whole system for the better.

Stainless is the way to go, after cutting your teeth on the starter kits. I used buckets, and then a plastic carboy, for over a decade. Moved to stainless steel fermenters, and pump/hoses for transfer, and all has gone better, much more sanitary, considering the scratches that WILL accumulate in plastic and WILL eventually harbor bacteria you can’t get out.

I love the SS Brewtech stuff. I have a Chronical and a Chronical 2.0, both 7 gallons. Also, don’t know if you’ve ever seen it, but Brewer’s Edge makes a product called the Mash and Boil. Fantastic! It’s about $300 for the version without a pump, and I’d recommend getting a different pump anyway, Riptide pump is what I’ve got.

Anyways…. It’s all fun and you should do what makes you happy. I love talking about the process and the products that make it easier. Love to chat sometime!
For sure! Guys in my homebrew discord group are trying to talk me into fermenting in kegs, I grabbed a spunding valve and probably gonna give it a shot.. though I was considering a fermzilla conical cause I like seeing the action and I’d love the bottom dump valve for trub discard and yeast collection….

couldn’t pass up the Black Friday foundry deal. And really excited for co2 bottle fills.

C558756A-A114-4BA7-B865-37286C11BF77.jpeg

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I’ve heard good things about the Anvil brewing system, very similar to the Mash and Boil.

I have a bottom dump valve on the conical, of course, but I don’t even dump. I’ve found that the beer ends up clearer if I leave the trub in the bottom. I basically don’t do a thing to between transferring to the fermenter and transferring to the keg. For 10 days, or however long the ferm takes to finish (look at the Tilt device too, by the way, for remotely monitoring temp and gravity) I don’t do a darn thing. Before transferring to the keg for conditioning, I just make sure there is no trub or break material in the transfer. Once it is running pretty clean, I start pouring it in the keg. I keep the tube down in the bottom, so as not to get anymore oxygen than is possible. I don’t worry about a closed transfer, either. Works out fine for my taste.