What's new

Home Coffee Roasters

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
So I'm looking for a new coffee roaster. I had one a few years ago, a hearthware roaster, but I live in an apartment and I didn't know it was such a smoky process.

Now I've moved into a better apartment and have a nice sized balcony/porch perfect for roasting my coffee outside. I lost the Hearthware roaster and am looking into getting a new one.

Anybody got any recomendations? Got one for sale?

-Rob

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I started with a FreshRoast Plus8 and then invested in a Hottop. I love it. Now the poor little FR is sitting in the corner of the workbench collecting dust. Hottops are pricey but you can do up to 1/2 lb roasts and the machine is very well built. It's quiet which makes it easy to hear the cracks and I find it much more relaxing to roast with than the FR8.
If you want to get one of these PM me and I can point you to the best place to buy.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I did get a response from the people that make the I-Roast. A refurbished model is going to cost $59.00. I know...I'm a cheap bastard. Anyways, anybody have any input on the I-Roast?

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Indyrob
I do not have first hand knowledge of the I-roast. I did read on another forum in the last week or so that the I-roast had some issues, and that the I-roast II is a far superior machine. I am with you as I am in need of a new machine.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
indyrob said:
Like what have you heard?
This particular poter, whose coffee knowledge is vast, mentioned quality issues with the machine and design, and that the company that makes them had some iffy customer service issues at the time.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Ahhh...I see. It's a good thing that I am looking at thier refurbished line. Even though it's nearly $100 off the asking price for a NEW one, I have seen new models at a slightly better price (Not cheaper, but more value for the dollar).

Roasting coffee isn't the most complicated hing in the world, selecting a good roaster is. I've roasted in my kitchen with a cast iron skillet with a good deal of success but the ol' lady gets upset when I did that.

My search continues...