What's new

Homemade Balkan Sobranie?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
As most of you know, I roll cigars. One of my vendors sells whole pipe tobacco as well and I was cruising their site shopping around because I am going to start playing around with pipe blends as well. They are advertising a 1lb blend of something they claim is similar to Balkan Sobranie for $25 here:
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Balkan-Sobranidje-Blend8.htm
When I search for the standard Balkan Sobranie available online it is listed for $25/tin. They state their kit includes 6 different tobaccos and 2 casing liquids but doesn't give any more information than that. I'm 98% sure I'm going to buy and try but looking for the opinions of the brothers here first. To be honest I haven't tried the original or the current production so I would have nothing to compare it to. My mindset though is that this vendor sells quality leaf and has great customer service and if this is as similar as they claim it's worth the cost. I don't have a shredder so would have to figure a workaround for that, but imagine a cutting board and a sharp knife could do the job.

Look forward to your input.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Blending pipe baccy is something I'd like to try as well. It's definitely on my list of winter projects. The site seems cool, just odd that they call it a cigarette blend.
Apparently there are Balkan Sobranie cigarettes as well. I think he is marketing as a cigarette blend because he does more cigarette tobacco sales than pipe I think

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Apparently there are Balkan Sobranie cigarettes as well. I think he is marketing as a cigarette blend because he does more cigarette tobacco sales than pipe I think
Looks like some of the leaves he has for sale as "cigarette" tobacco is actually pipe tobaccos if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe they can be used as both???

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Looks like some of the leaves he has for sale as "cigarette" tobacco is actually pipe tobaccos if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe they can be used as both???
Virginias, burley, and orientals are used for both. My understanding is that the pipe tobacco is usually of higher quality and the stuff he sells I'm fairly confident is of high enough quality to make excellent pipe blends with. I will be playing around with making flakes, crumble cakes, and making my own un-flavored cavendish to use as a condiment leaf. So many hobbies, so little time...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Virginias, burley, and orientals are used for both. My understanding is that the pipe tobacco is usually of higher quality and the stuff he sells I'm fairly confident is of high enough quality to make excellent pipe blends with. I will be playing around with making flakes, crumble cakes, and making my own un-flavored cavendish to use as a condiment leaf. So many hobbies, so little time...
Absolutely. One day I'll take a stab at blending. I already have enough expensive hobbies. If I do another I need a 2nd job lol.

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a kit to get started. Will be placing an order of some Virginias, burley, and orientals within the next few weeks. Once I start playing around with making my own blends with the whole leaf that is available I will start a new thread to track my progress. Thanks for the encouraging push fellas!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, I just pulled the trigger on a kit to get started. Will be placing an order of some Virginias, burley, and orientals within the next few weeks. Once I start playing around with making my own blends with the whole leaf that is available I will start a new thread to track my progress. Thanks for the encouraging push fellas!
Good luck!!! I'll be sure to follow your thread for that as well!! Hooligan Pipe baccy in the works!! (y)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I don't think balkan Sobranie has any casing in it. Curious to hear how it comes out
I'm fairly certain all pipe tobacco manufacturers "case" the tobacco which is different than "topping" with flavorings. The casing liquid usually contains something like polyglycol and other things to help maintain moisture and aid in the ability for the leaf to burn.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Life got in the way lol your tin will be shipped tomorrow hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
take it easy guy!! Tin?!? Dammit... And I will have a whole pound of this when I finish which I will have to be shared because a whole pound of a single blend is a ton for me since I don't get to the pipe as much as I would like and also like a variety. Hell...