What's new

Homeroller's Recipe Sharing app idea

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Fellow BOTL @andy has made a trial app to log info regarding cigars. I haven't tried it yet but he explained that we could add any new cigar (and leaf recipe/ratio) as we go if it is not already in the program.
After adding one, it would be available to everyone else with the app, along with whatever notes you loaded up about the smoking experience.
@andy thread is here:
http://www.botl.org/threads/cigartech.93128/#post-2055512
Check it out. I'm sure folks aren't going to backlog years of blends but moving forward, maybe we can share them through this app. Anyone interested?
Edit:
@andy please feel free to correct anything I misunderstood or misrepresented.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
hola, everyone! thanks, jim!

a bit of background. the app i made grew from an app i made for myself to help track inventory. i've since rearranged the backend so it would work for more than one user. i've added some layers of metrics and am adding ways to source, trade, and network.

the way the app works is if a cigar doesn't exist in the system you just add it. here are some screenshots of the add form. you have to submit the form with the required fields. if you don't submit the forms with the optional fields, any user can then initiate a revision process to edit the record at anytime after the cigar has been submitted.

00.jpg 01.jpg

as you can see, it focuses more on production cigars and less on the blending experience. would this work for you guys or are you looking for a more specialized app? as i write this, i'm imagining a completely different application. one where users can add details about a particular leaf, which would be available to all other users. then users could add that leaf along with some blend information like leaf ratio, construction method, production date, etc, to log their blends. maybe a public/private toggle to signal whether the blend can be shared or not (blend feed, user's blend profiles, etc.). maybe a trading feature? of course, reviews, ratings, notes, etc.

thoughts?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
yeah, i made the frontend responsive so all the ui components reform for mobile. you just use your browser.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to think about as you move toward initial beta release:
1. The same leaf from different sources ( retailers) may have different taste. Consider adding a field to describe whom the leaf was purchased from.
2. The same leaf from the same retailer may have different flavor profiles depending on the crop year. Consider including a leaf purchase date to clue readers into which crop year *may* have been used.
3. There have been discussions on the forum of altering the purchased leaf by stoveing ( tin foil in the oven) or mojo ( liquid solution to alter PH). Consider including a field to identify whether a sample of leaf was used as-is or altered after purchase. Most likely the actual alteration details is beyond the scope of your proposed app, but at least this would start a PM discussion.
4. If your form includes tasting notes, consider adding a field describing how long the cigar was aged in months before smoking.

Overall, I think the app you are proposing could be an exciting addition to the discussions we have here regarding blending. For me the field is still quite a mystery.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
seems like you guys would benefit from a more specialized app. i saw something like this awhile ago while brewing with a buddy. the app had all sorts of fields to track metadata for beer ingredients. it's doable and sounds like fun. i'd be up for building it. =)

1. The same leaf from different sources ( retailers) may have different taste. Consider adding a field to describe whom the leaf was purchased from.
doable. i'm assuming retailers don't divulge which farms they get their leaves from?

2. The same leaf from the same retailer may have different flavor profiles depending on the crop year. Consider including a leaf purchase date to clue readers into which crop year *may* have been used.
doable.

3. There have been discussions on the forum of altering the purchased leaf by stoveing ( tin foil in the oven) or mojo ( liquid solution to alter PH). Consider including a field to identify whether a sample of leaf was used as-is or altered after purchase. Most likely the actual alteration details is beyond the scope of your proposed app, but at least this would start a PM discussion.
i think things like this should be separate from the leaf data. perhaps served through a different form, which could be displayed as its own section when published. like a recipe or production notes section.

4. If your form includes tasting notes, consider adding a field describing how long the cigar was aged in months before smoking.
this would probably be another one of those separate form things. as far as age is concerned, maybe there's a checkbox somewhere that signals to the app that a cigar has been produced along with a datetime stamp. any subsequent views of that data will show how long it's been since the cigar was produced.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think things like this should be separate from the leaf data. perhaps served through a different form, which could be displayed as its own section when published. like a recipe or production notes section..
It could be as simple as a tick box next to each leaf in the recipe . Ticked means the leaf was altered.