What's new

Hot Water Heater Question

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Had our plumber replace our 50 gallon electric water heater today. I had removed the insulation that I had wrapped around the old one prior to him coming and left it laying on the floor next to the old existing water heater.

He came today, while I was at work, and installed the new water heater. It sets back more than the first with very little gap between the back of it and the wall. He did not wrap the insulation back onto for me and finished before I got home.

So...my question is...do you think he didn't put it back on because:

1. Not a major need for it.
2. Didn't feel like messing with it because the gap was narrow behind it and it would take a little cutting and notching.
3. Not his job?

I guess my major question is, is it even needed? I know it can't hurt, but what do ya think?

David

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
It sits in our finished basement which never gets below 58-60ish degrees in the winter so I am a shove away from putting this insulation into a garbage bag. I know the new water heaters are insulated better than 15 years ago so who is gonna give me the shove?

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
After a little research on the net, it said if they are not warm to touch then they don't need added insulation. Mine is not warm so the old insulation went bye-byes. :grin:

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Yep no need for insulation on new hot water heaters and you should drain off a couple of gallons every 6 months to reduce scale build up on the bottom of the tank. Especially in hard water areas.