What's new

How do I choose the appropriate PC video card

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I have a PC and it's a I3 with 8gb of ram. I want a card that will run great but not something that is so good that my computer can't run the card at full capacity. What's the best way of determining what card is right for you?

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
What are your intended uses for the graphics card? Based solely on that your running an i3 which is on the lower end of processors, I personally would look in to an entry level possibly mid range card. I guess you'd also want to make sure your power supply can supply enough to the which ever card you choose. I prefer nvidia to AMD myself, but AMD tends to be lower priced. Depending on what exactly you'd like to do, you may consider starting from scratch.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Mostly gaming but I don't need high end specs. I want to pic up Borderlands. I think my power supply should be good. It's a fairly new Dell. I am looking to spend $150 at the most.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
It would seem that a newer i3 really wouldn't bottleneck your system. If you are looking to spend 150 max look into the nvidia GTX 750 or 750 Ti or the AMD Radeon R9 270 or 270X.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem that a newer i3 really wouldn't bottleneck your system. If you are looking to spend 150 max look into the nvidia GTX 750 or 750 Ti or the AMD Radeon R9 270 or 270X.
^^^ what he said. Also you may want to hunt for second hand, last years top of the line. Some gamers are like apple fan boys (pardon my french). They have to have the latest and greatest.

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
^^^ what he said. Also you may want to hunt for second hand, last years top of the line. Some gamers are like apple fan boys (pardon my french). They have to have the latest and greatest.
Yes or what he said, that is a definite option. Good call.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am running a nvidia gtx 560 and it runs everything I want at max pretty easily, haven't played borderlands though. Totally agree with what was said above about going for last years parts, have 2 desktops built this way and both do great for the price paid

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have a 2GB Radeon 7595M in a laptop from 2 years ago that runs Borderlands so fast I had to forcibly reduce the frame rate to prevent vertigo. Anything you buy today will be faster than that. In other words you're good to go.