What's new

How do you decide?

How do you decide?

• Based on anticipated smoking time

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Based on a flavor profile that appeals to me at that moment

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Neither of the above, I will explain below.

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I was thinking on the way in today that I used to choose my cigars for the day based on the smoking time I think I will have available. I used to feel that the cigar was wasted if I didn't smoke it 'till there was one inch or less remaining.

More and more I am grabbing a cigar based on the flavor profile regardless of how long it will burn or how long I have to smoke it. I would rather smoke a cigar whos flavor profile is appealing at that moment than compromise and grab one that I know I can finish.

How 'bout you guys? Throw up a vote and tell us how you decide.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Pretty much smoking time available. Flavor profile comes into it, but not as often. I try not to smoke cigars I don't like...that's about it. :wink:

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Not so much the flavor profile, but more of the size is how I choose. Its more based on the time that i have to smoke and what i'll be doing during that time.

Otherwise its what ever looks good and catches my eye.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many factors when choosing a cigar. If I'm working, then it's usually a MM. But when I have the time, then I consider how much time I have, what time of day, what I'll be drinking with it, if I'm smoking indoors or out, what I'll be eating, etc.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Sometimes I know what I'm going to smoke well in advance just because it sounds good, and have my mouth water sometimes all day until I can light up. Usually though, I'll rummage through the daily humi of singles and find one that appeals to me at the moment. Occasionally I'll go to the coolidors on a whim and bust something out. Only about 10% of the time will I take time into account, and then only if I'm short on it.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
eenie meanie miney moe....

Actually I do the first two. Decide if I have the time or even want a longer smoke, then decide what I am in the mood for flavor wise. If something looks really nice it might catch my eye.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
The only time I think about smoking time is for my lunchtime smokes. The rest are all flavor!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I almost always consider smoking time first and then decide on flavor profile. For instance, I love Sublimes but would never consider one for my 20 minute drive to work.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
For me it depends on a few things in fact. I try to pick something based on first how much time I have. Then I try to pick from a combination of flavor profile and age. Lastly I try to pick something that i haven't had in a while. By doing the last I'm able also to rotate my cigars and let them aslo get age on them. Also will depend lastly on the time of year. In the warmer months I try to smoke more of my larger cigars while in the winter I save my short stuff. Specially with it being cold out. Though if its a warmer night I might choose something bigger or going to an event that is indoor in the winter will help me to grab a larger smoke for the event.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I pick a cigar based on the amount I have to smoke and then I try to pick a flavor profile to my liking. If I have 30-45 min. to smoke and I'd hate to pick a p2 just because I love the profile of them. To some people this is enough time, but it usually takes me an 1 and 15 minutes to smoke one. You get point I guess...

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
windowrx said:
I almost always consider smoking time first and then decide on flavor profile. For instance, I love Sublimes but would never consider one for my 20 minute drive to work.
That about sums it up right there. My choice is always based on how much time I have.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
windowrx said:
yup, same for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and flavor both play a role, of course it also depends on how much time I gotta spend cooking for the Boys.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Well, for me it depends on a number of things.

First, I have to know I'm going to have time to smoke it. I'm a bit of a slow poke when it comes to smoking cigars, but I want to take my time and enjoy the flavors. I don't want the cigar to smoke too hot and ruin the flavor. I've been known to take over an hour on a corona.

Second, what type of flavor am I in the mood for. Time of day has alot to do with this. Early in the day, I like to go lighter, after a big meal I want something beefy. That kind of thing.

Third, have I had any cigars before, or am I going to smoke several in a row. If I'm going to have a few, I certainly don't want to start out with something that's going to blow me away, i.e. RyJ Cazadore or VR Farmie.

Fourth, what am I going to pair this with? I don't know much about this yet, but I'm having a lot of fun learning!:clap:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I think the reason I have strayed away from time being my decision maker is that I rarely finish any vitola in less than an hour so it doesn't really matter much.

Hot_Sauce

&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
While time constraint's can play a role on what I'm going to smoke I usually grab what I'm in the mood for.