What's new

How do you lay out your rolling table?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
In the old days they rolled on end grain maple blocks. Pros still do. These days, some of us amateurs roll on marble, some roll on tile, some roll on metal sheet, some on bread boards, some on bamboo boards. I have even rolled on 1"x15" pine board intended for closet shelves. I watched ReMix roll on her little carry case that she brought the goods in, using that for a board. The one and only kind of board that I have never heard of someone rolling on ... Dom, you know we love ya, but no one to my knowledge has ever contrived to roll a cigar on a keyboard. Take the plunge, make a half dozen gars, and don't worry about how, what, or where. What's the worst that could happen?

Way back in another life when I was wandering the broad Pacific on my home built schooner, people used to ask me all the time : "Where'd you learn how to build a boat?", and I would spread my palm out in front of them and answer: "There." and say: "It's in the doing that things get done." Many years later, I read this from Goethe: "Thought is easy. Action is difficult. To act in accordance with our thoughts is the most difficult things we have to do." Then along came Nike, who simply trademarked "Just do it."

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the old days they rolled on end grain maple blocks. Pros still do. These days, some of us amateurs roll on marble, some roll on tile, some roll on metal sheet, some on bread boards, some on bamboo boards. I have even rolled on 1"x15" pine board intended for closet shelves. I watched ReMix roll on her little carry case that she brought the goods in, using that for a board. The one and only kind of board that I have never heard of someone rolling on ... Dom, you know we love ya, but no one to my knowledge has ever contrived to roll a cigar on a keyboard. Take the plunge, make a half dozen gars, and don't worry about how, what, or where. What's the worst that could happen?

Way back in another life when I was wandering the broad Pacific on my home built schooner, people used to ask me all the time : "Where'd you learn how to build a boat?", and I would spread my palm out in front of them and answer: "There." and say: "It's in the doing that things get done." Many years later, I read this from Goethe: "Thought is easy. Action is difficult. To act in accordance with our thoughts is the most difficult things we have to do." Then along came Nike, who simply trademarked "Just do it."
You are a wise and practical man. Thank you.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Depends if I am bunching or wrapping. Also depends if I am speed bunching or taking a therapeutic approach.

Bunching fast: 4 piles of leaf, from left to right, binder (De-veined and cased, usually I leave this in a ziplock to retain moisture during a leisure roll-sesh), seco, viso, ligero (assuming filler is in appropriate casing and the A/C isn't blasting in the house, otherwise they too remain in their ziplocks). I bunch directly on the table to maximize the binder's stretch. Glue cup, spray bottle, and scissor are within arms reach. Mold is behind me on a separate table.

Wrapping: Cookie sheet (Lately, piece of tile that works great for wrapping, terrible for cutting) dead center, tuck cutter, glue, and capping tools directly above cookie sheet, spray bottle and cheveta to the right. Wrapper in ziplock within arms reach (properly cased). Single malt or rum near the tuck cutter. Latin music blasting to my right.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
@Hopduro must be right handed, as I am a lefty, my chaveta and spray and glue are on the left. While by bunching, the binder leaf is in a zip lock straight ahead. The fillers are a bit to the right in their own zip locks in a stack. The stack gets restacked each time, meaning I pull the top leaf and move that bag over, making it the new bottom. Next bag is always the viso or mata fina. Last bag (in a three leaf blend) gets pulled and becomes the top bag for the next cycle.
I also hang a grocery bag to my right on a chair. This is the trash bag for stems or anything else I'm going to throw out. WhIle de-stemming, I hold the stem in my right hand and leaf in my left, so the trash bag is on my right.
It all comes back to @webmost feedback. As you just do it, you will cater it to your liking. You'll find what works for you, enjoy it along the way!

PS: I usually do this at night getting ready for night shift at work. As such I don't get to have the music blasting but do have Longmire on in the background...

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your layout will be unique to your style. Just get started and the chips will fall into place.
Your filler needs to be almost dry.
Remember... if the cigar turns out poorly take it back apart and re-roll it. Don't accept the errors, correct them. Do it until you learn how to do it right.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Literally bunch wherever or however. I bunch while watching TV or things (typically go games on go servers) on the PC screen. Sometimes outside, where I put my board on a little cafe table in the garden where I typically read and smoke. Or on the veranda if it's raining. Or on the floor if it's night. To bunch all you need is a board, a knife, and some leaf, and you can put a board anywhere. I have a big plastic thing with my leaf in it. I usually keep that in a corner in another room but often bring it into the living room and put it on the floor. I dig out the fillers I want and put them on the top of the pile and yank leaf from there as I go and let the crumbs fall back into the big plastic thing.

I wrap either at the computer, on the coffee table, or various places outside if it's nice out and not too windy. All the details are visible in my million bunching and wrapping videos. Glue to my right. Scraps bag to my left. Bunches wherever the mold is, usually on the floor somewhere. Wrapper in a plastic bag somewhere. Casquillo probably on the floor somewhere, likely rolled under the PC case.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Literally bunch wherever or however. I bunch while watching TV or things (typically go games on go servers) on the PC screen. Sometimes outside, where I put my board on a little cafe table in the garden where I typically read and smoke. Or on the veranda if it's raining. Or on the floor if it's night. To bunch all you need is a board, a knife, and some leaf, and you can put a board anywhere. I have a big plastic thing with my leaf in it. I usually keep that in a corner in another room but often bring it into the living room and put it on the floor. I dig out the fillers I want and put them on the top of the pile and yank leaf from there as I go and let the crumbs fall back into the big plastic thing.

I wrap either at the computer, on the coffee table, or various places outside if it's nice out and not too windy. All the details are visible in my million bunching and wrapping videos. Glue to my right. Scraps bag to my left. Bunches wherever the mold is, usually on the floor somewhere. Wrapper in a plastic bag somewhere. Casquillo probably on the floor somewhere, likely rolled under the PC case.
But... WHERE IS THE WHISKEY?!