What's new

How do you personally define a great cigar?

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To me. A great cigar has complexity and a dynamic flavor profile. A great cigar has depth and "layering" of flavors inside its profile and the flavors compliment each other and then disperse like a drop of honey on the tongue, or a drop of oil on the surface of still clear water. The finish is long, prevailing, and apparent, and the flavors on the finish are crisp, discernable, and not sour or bitter. Also, the flavor profile of a great cigar gradually develops for the positive as the stick smolders closer to the end.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
In descending order of importance
1 flavor profile= must be complex/layered and change several times throughout the smoke
2 burn/construction = no re-lighting. never gets too hot yet always produces plenty of smoke.
3 aroma= smells good
4 appearance. Not really all that concerned with appareance if it meets the first three.
And of course your surroundings always factor in to the experience

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you sure he has 3 nipples and dyes the nipple hair blue? I coulda sworn glassman was talking about getting a boob job awhile ago......

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Are you sure he has 3 nipples and dyes the nipple hair blue? I coulda sworn glassman was talking about getting a boob job awhile ago......
How many spy devices are in this place...!?!
But the hair is not blue.. Unless the light hits it just right... o_O

Poor Bruce getting his thread jacked all to hell...

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yes but my personal cryteria is very simple, I would say it boils down to.

Good construction.

Nice even burn.

Nice even ash formation.

A flavor you personally like, everyone has different taster sensor that work differently. So what I like the taste of others may hate.

Last a Cigar doesn't have to to cost mega bucks to be a good cigar to you personally. I have been pointed to stuff that was going to blow my sock off by some B & m clerk. that I purchased smoke a couple of, was totally disappointed with, and said ever again.

Just my $0.02.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
All joking aside, to me a great cigar is defined by more than just the cigar itself. An okay cigar can be a great cigar if I'm around the right company while smoking it. Or if I'm eating something before and/or during that pairs perfectly with it. Or if I'm drinking something that makes it more impactful. Or where I am when smoking it and what brought me there (i.e., vacation, work, new place, familiar place, camping/hiking, tailgating, vHerfing, etc.).

On the other hand, a unicorn cigar can be ruined based off of what ambiance is around me.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
There are simply too many variables. Each cigar is unique. But for shits and giggles
1. I like a cigar that has some transitions that isnt boring
2. I usally like for my cigar to be balanced without one part over powering other parts
3. Draw is pretty important to me almost effortless draw is optimal nothing pisses me off more than a cigar that wont draw.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
There are simply too many variables. Each cigar is unique. But for shits and giggles
1. I like a cigar that has some transitions that isnt boring
2. I usally like for my cigar to be balanced without one part over powering other parts
3. Draw is pretty important to me almost effortless draw is optimal nothing pisses me off more than a cigar that wont draw.

Your point #3 is a great point, but draw problems is a stick to stick problem. Honestly Cigar tightness is a stick to stick thing, because roller are humans. A good Draw Enhancing Tool cost like $40.00, but you will find out many draw problem go by by with these draw enhancing tool.

Honestly having a draw enhancing tool is a cheaper solution then toss money in the trash. I call it an investment that will pay off if you save 5 - 6 good from the dumpster.

Last edited: