What's new

How do you pick your DE razorblade?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So when I jumped into this wet shaving business, I bought a sampler of blades off amazon. I have been mixing them up, giving them all a fair turn, but I just can't seem to pick one that I like. They all seem the same. Am I missing something?

How do you guys pick what to toss in the ol' DE?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You just gotta keep going with samplers. Different faces prefer different blades. It's also a combination of the blade and the razor too. I use a milder razor with a very sharp blade (Feather), and that works best for me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just gotta keep going with samplers. Different faces prefer different blades. It's also a combination of the blade and the razor too. I use a milder razor with a very sharp blade (Feather), and that works best for me.
I use a merkur futur de, on the most aggressive setting, with feather blades. This is how I achieve zero irritation and no cuts.

You would think that a less aggressive setting and a less aggresive razor would be better, but for me it is not. Everyone's face is different as are their hairs. I would suggest buying a handful of razors and trying to see what works better than the others.

Not sure if this matters, but I use proraso shave cream and regular aftershave with alcohol. For me it works better than the fancy stuff that costs much more.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I think I should clarify that I get ZERO irritation. I love DE shaving, and I get great shaves out of every blade... I have a Parker 96R and use the most aggressive setting, Taylor of Old Bond Street preshave oil, parker soap, and no aftershave. Sometimes I just go with water after a hot shower... no problems.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I should clarify that I get ZERO irritation. I love DE shaving, and I get great shaves out of every blade... I have a Parker 96R and use the most aggressive setting, Taylor of Old Bond Street preshave oil, parker soap, and no aftershave. Sometimes I just go with water after a hot shower... no problems.
I'm confused, your first post said you could not find something you liked.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If they are all working great, and you can not tell a difference, I would go with the cheapest most readily available blade.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Maybe more just can't find one he likes more than the others. I'm still in that same boat.

MPB

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I jumped into this wet shaving business, I bought a sampler of blades off amazon. I have been mixing them up, giving them all a fair turn, but I just can't seem to pick one that I like. They all seem the same. Am I missing something?

How do you guys pick what to toss in the ol' DE?
Well, I make my evaluations based on the level of comfort or lack thereof when I've given the blade a fair shake. Sampler packs are good to try various brands. As with everything available and the many needs and wants of the individual, YMMV. I have found the best luck with a Merkur Sledgehammer Slant (39C) loaded up with a Lord Platinum. Soap quality and ability of the individual to achieve the needed lather condition is vital as well. RazoRock Zi'Peppino has been the best performer for me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it's a blade and razor that gives me a comfortable Shave. There are some blades and razors that no matter what I do I get some form of irritation, those are the ones I stop using and goes into the "my face doesn't like it pile"

A feather in my Gillette ball end tech is my go to combo, Astra super plats and my Gillette fatboy are my fav for a cheap blade combo.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Maybe more just can't find one he likes more than the others. I'm still in that same boat.
Exactly. Each one works great, so what other criteria are there?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I would imagine (and hope) that it's much like coffee, wine, spirits, beer, cigars, etc. In the beginning everything is just new, jumbled together and hard to distinguish. Then, with time and experience, you start to notice nuances that you couldn't even have imagined early on.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I've tried a bunch of different blades, and found more difference in my technique and the razor itself, than in the blade.

I totally believe this. I think there has to be WAY more variability in the razors themselves and not the blades.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
^^^^ I thought this as well. I've been using feathers sense i started then switched to a Derby blade and cut myself 6x around the chin and lip one morning at work. I was so embarrassed I had to interact with a pt on a amb call at 6:30 in the morning with a face that was bleeding non stop...... I'm going back to the Feathers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So Hot Sauce hooked me up with some Feathers. At first, I didn't notice much of a difference, but then I went to a Super Chrome Shark afterwards: Night and Day. Feather, hands-down.

I got a better shave in one pass with feather than three passes with the Shark. And, since I had to use more pressure with the shark, I ended up with a few cuts... I have seen the light, brothers.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I still need to jump on this wagon. I have a badger brush and soap and I absolutely love it. I may try to pull the trigger on the razor soon. I have been using the same razor all my life; that is the only reason I'm hesitant. I use the Gillette Sensor Excel.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I still need to jump on this wagon. I have a badger brush and soap and I absolutely love it. I may try to pull the trigger on the razor soon. I have been using the same razor all my life; that is the only reason I'm hesitant. I use the Gillette Sensor Excel.
so, bomb rex? i approve! o)

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I stick to feathers and Derbys. Been wets having for years, I find the feathers being hands down the best but you get what you pay for. I think they've even jumped up in price. I'm still working on a box of 100 that I got about 6 years ago. Derbys are cheaper and if feathers are a 10, Derbys are a 9.