What's new

How is Hogshead cheese like OK Sex?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
headcheese1.jpg

Pork Picnic set to boil with a combination of pickling spices, garlic, onion trimmings and bay leaf
Boil till meat is tender enough to fall off the bone
Remove meat to cool, strain and retain broth

headcheese2.jpg

I saved about 12 cups of strained broth. To the broth I added finely diced onion, celery, dried parsly, hot pepper flakes and any seasonings your heart and imagination desires.
Simmer till vegetables are tender
add finely chopped, deboned, pork meat with some skin but most of the fat removed.
Return broth and meat to a slow simmer until all flavors meld and meat is completly warmed through
Retain a low boil (hard simmer) and sprinkle in 6 packets (7gr? each) gelatin mix briskly between packets so gelatin doesn't clot or lump
Allow to simmer a couple of minutes (5 - 10) until gelatin is dissolved, do not over boil or gelatin will break and not set

headcheese3.jpg

Pour hogshead cheese to lightly greased pans and allow to cool, "preset" overnight at room temperature

Cover with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Move to refrigerator and allow to "hard" set
Once set
headcheese4.jpg

Unmold and turnout to cutting board
headcheese5.jpg
Enjoy!

BTW if you use trotters, snouts or other high cartilage meat cuts you will not need as much gelatin.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ll eat it. You have scrapple where you’re from boudie??
I was trying to figure out the difference between Scrapple and Hogshead Cheese. Never had it but I would guess there is a difference in the types of spices we add and doesn't Scrapple have oats or some other grain added?

We usually add good bunch of green onions to the mix but they've been hard to come by this year.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The scrapple I know just uses cornmeal as the binder. I grew up raising a killing our own hogs. I still love scrapple. Had some Saturday If you spot any around try it. It’s different than that they’re hogsheads cheese but I’d most definitely try the “cheese”.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
ill take some seafood gumbo and a side of boudin noir.
Think about it the only diffence between what I made and boudin is that instead of gelatin we would combine it with cooked ice and stuff into casings

Almost in gumbo weather, need oysters to make seafood gumbo and I don't eat oysters until we get a couple of weeks of cool weather.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The state got involved with that a while back and limited the sale of boudin rouge to only a few outlets. I'd be surprised if you got a chance to try it, if someone didn't make it for you. It's more then possible but I never see it for sale.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That restaurant is actually in TX, and I would have ate there in the 2007-2015 era. I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask, now I'm curious.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea you probably had the smoked boudin. More often it is simmered/steamed so that the casing doesn't fall apart.