What's new

How long do cigars stay fresh outside a humidor

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a severe problem. I definitely need to stop buying because I'm totally at capacity now. :/

I have a problem with buying when I see good deals on my favorite cigars. Well this impulsivesness is turning out to be a mistake... I think?

My humidor box isn't seasoned yet, I put the Bovedas in (thanks, @JG358) and it is at a bit below 60%. But I have a fresh box of cigars that just came out of the freezer from debugging.

So my question is, how long will this full box stay fresh if I leave it out of a humidor for say, a week until the humidity stabilizes? I don't have anywhere else to put it and I'm kinda worried about this.

Thanks.

John
CC

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
All good answers. I would say without any humidification a couple days but that would also translate into a couple weeks in the hummi before ready to smoke. As constant as possible for smokes is a good rule

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Tupperware is where it's at.

Truth be told, I was thinking earlier, if I had to "do it again" - I wouldn't have gotten desktop humidors and just went with a big coolidor for "overflow" and tupperdores or a wineador for what I'm smoking.

Storage will forever be a problem...just comes with the territory with this hobby. Short of having a walk-in, wall unit, or a big wineador, there will always be overflow.

As for your specific issue, I'd recommend seasoning your humidor using distilled water. An empty humidor along with a sponge and a small bowl will help get it to your required RH a bit faster (tons of info out there on seasoning). But in the meantime, throw the box in a ziplock, wouldn't hurt to add a Boveda to the bag, and it should be good for a few weeks (at least long enough until your humidor is seasoned and ready to take on smokes).

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I bought this tote at Walmart for $10 I think to hold my boxes in until I come up with something better. I was skeptical that a tote would hold humidity well but I found this specific tote with the 6 locking handles that keeps the lid held firmly down. It also has a foam gasket around where the lid sets. I put in 2 Boveda packs and some heartfelt beads and within a few hours, it was at 68 humidity and has held solid for months.3E449060-F710-4B16-8292-7D1501C1F6B3.jpeg

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The ks for the replies all. I'm going to do what y'all are saying and get Tupperware and toss them in there with Bovedas. @Frost if I continue to buy more sticks, I will definitely try that.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I bought this tote at Walmart for $10 I think to hold my boxes in until I come up with something better. I was skeptical that a tote would hold humidity well but I found this specific tote with the 6 locking handles that keeps the lid held firmly down. It also has a foam gasket around where the lid sets. I put in 2 Boveda packs and some heartfelt beads and within a few hours, it was at 68 humidity and has held solid for months.View attachment 105935
Did you use anything to get rid of the plastic/chemical smell when it was new?

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Did you use anything to get rid of the plastic/chemical smell when it was new?
I'd recommend a quick wash with some soap and water, letting it sit open for a few days, and if you have some old cigar boxes, they work well for liners.

Most B&Ms sell empties, a lot of them will give them away to their regulars.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Make a distilled water/baking soda mix and spray the container down a couple of times over a day or two. Allow to dry between sprays then wipe down. Works like a champ.